1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DeadheadPride, Sep 12, 2015.

1. DeadheadPride

Ok, so tomorrow is my first ever pride parade and I'm super excited! I just don't know what to expect, or anything like that. All of the LGBTQ+ people I know are going, so that will make it fun regardless, but I wanted to know what I should expect, or what happened/happens for you guys at prides?

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

It was my first one yesterday!

It's lovely. The people in costume are brilliant, everyone (in my experience) is super happy and supportive, it's loud (don't know if yours will have whistles - I had a headache for the rest of the day but it was worth it) and even with nobody I knew I was instantly accepted.

A few of my experiences:
    There were stormtroopers marching with us, who said that Darth Vader said it was his day off but they thought he was just too shy to come - brilliant.
    Several politicians from our island went on the March, probably because same sex marriage is being discussed in 2 weeks.
    A 65 year old woman next to me was taking photos of everyone, calling us "fabulous!" and "darlings" and saying she'd put us on her facebook. She was overwhelmingly happy, almost like she was high.
    There were events that stretched on for the rest of the day, lots of singing, some offstage.

Ultimately, I'd say to get as involved as you can if you can - put on funky clothes and grab a flag and whistle and act like everyone else (that is, like a lunatic).

Have fun!

#2 Connorcode, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to my first one a few weeks ago. I had a great time! Enjoy it :slight_smile:

4. DAXIII

It was quite superficial to me. It was heavy on the body image aspect and that didn't really make me feel welcome. I think it was more welcoming for those who are more like the stereotype.

5. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first pride is in a week, so excited I'm going to be in the parade!

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly, I'll have to agree with this. It's just not my thing however many people have a good time at Pride Parades! :slight_smile:

7. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I found the opposite - and I'm not like the stereotype at all. But they're different parades in different places (a US state and a tiny British Isle), so they're going to be different.

#7 Connorcode, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I went yesterday, had a great time. :slight_smile: