1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a therapist

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by musicheals315, Sep 14, 2015.

1. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So after getting advice from several users on here and recognizing that I have many stressors (accepting my sexual orientation as one of them) and almost no support system IRL, that I need to try therapy. I did therapy briefly about 10 years ago when my bf at the time was seeing a counselor and I would attend his sessions, then end up crying everytime, so his counselor suggested I see someone for my own issues. That didn't last too long, I think mainly because I didn't really feel I needed therapy. Anyways, I'm not sure I can get myself to the point of actually seeing a counselor for many reasons, a big part of that is not enough time and it seems to be pretty expensive from the little searching I've done. I'm also worried about finding someone accepting of my situation as I live in a pretty conservative area. I'm interested in the private therapy apps/websites, but not very trusting of these types of things. Does anyone have any good apps/websites they recommend? With the technology aspect I'm worried more about identity theft kinds of things and also, the person I'm talking to not really being who they say they are. Also, do these things cost money and if so approximately how much? Thanks in advance!

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, Phoenix has a - by all accounts - very helpful LGBT community center downtown that you can contact - Phoenix Pride center. They will probably have many places and counselors to recommend - you might be surprised at how many resources there actually are in the city, there. Some may be very affordable and/or flexible with or without insurance, as well.

You could just call them and saying you need the name of a counselor (or counselors) who specialize in whatever. You don't even need to tell them it's for you - no questions asked!