1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People complaining about my mood at work

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Devil Dave, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have received a promotion at work recently, and I am very happy about it. It means more responsibility for me, which I take very seriously, and this kind of does affect my attitude in the work place. I'm still quite new to the role and I want to make sure i stay focused and get it right. However, some of my colleagues feel that I'm being uptight and a bit snappy. I haven't been nasty to anyone - I haven't told anyone off or complained about how they are doing their job, I give them space to do their work how they see fit, and I do what I can to give them support.

But now I hear that some of the colleagues are questioning my mood and asking if there's something wrong with me. Like I said, I am adjusting to my new role, so as I get used to my new routine, I might start to loosen up a bit more. But I'm not always in a lighthearted chatty mood. If it's a particularly busy day and there is a lot to get done, I do prefer to get my head down and get on with the job, and save small talk for a time when its less busy.

I have spent a big chunk of my life being criticized for being lazy, timid, indecisive and a bit of a mincer, and now I have a bit of authority, I'm making the most of my situation and I don't want to let my employers down, as they've entrusted me with this opportunity. I seem to be earning a reputation as a bit of a stuck up ogre among my colleagues and even some of the customers. Should I ignore these people's concerns and carry on as I am, or should I pay attention and try to lighten up a bit more when I'm around them?

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Several things are going on here:

1. You self admittedly suggest your adjusting and you need to loosen up a bit; so for starters there might be something to their comments. And you already recognize that.
    2. There is going to be a bit of jealousy given your promotion. Jealousy in the work place will show up in various forms. This is natural. Treat everyone fairly, and those reactions should subside.
    3. Anyone whom gets a promotion often feels empowered and sometimes a bit of pride comes out. That will fuel the Jealousy per my point number 2. Be aware of it and try and minimize it. Pride is natural, so its ok to feel that way; but be respectful of others views.
    4. Your in a position of leadership. Use that to direct the discussion and the traffic. If some say your being moody, don't argue the point. Simply state, as you have, your taking your role seriously and want to get it right; its important to you as it should be to everyone else.

Good Luck!

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on the promotion! It's a pretty big deal.

I second what OnTheHighway posted. Can't phrase it better

4. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the support. I will avoid arguments and conflict, and state to everyone who questions me that I am taking the job seriously as its important to me.

We have had slackers in the company before, and I certainly don't want to end up like them. I would rather be serious and to the point and get the job done efficiently, than be a nice guy who slacks off and leaves a ton of work for the manager to finish.

Maybe as I get used to the job, I'll find a way to balance out being a nice guy and hard worker, it's just that at the moment it's quite a challenge, and having people bringing my mood into question is a bit of a distraction.

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    your not working to make friends, your working to make a living.........

6. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. I'm not there to be everyone's mate. Sure, we've had moments where we chat about some of our personal experiences and exchange funny stories, and i suppose because the colleagues have seen my sweet side they want me to be like that all the time. But since getting promoted, I find that I need to step out of friendly chat mode to focus on an important task. It's not that I'm being rude or nasty, I'm putting the job above being sweet to everyone.