1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Workouts 'n' stuff...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TheHesitantAlien, Sep 15, 2015.

1. TheHesitantAlien

Hey everyone! :slight_smile:
    Basically, one of my aims is to become a little more bear-like (muscley, not chubby ;D). Issue is...I'm weedy as hell! xD I'm very nearly 16, so I appreciate I still have plenty of
    time for growth etc, but I just wanted a little support 'is all. So their are 3 factors here:

1) Facial/bodily hair --- It is developing. I already have the average amount for my age, so I'm pretty content to just sitback and see how it goes :wink:

2) Masculinity --- Again, this isn't really an issue. I'm by no means feminine, but I can always consciously influence myself to be a bit more masc in body language - so again, no real trouble here.

3) Muscle --- Ah. Well...um...I'm not a sporty person. I never have been. I'm only of average-ish fitness (if not a little below average *sigh*), and my ideal week-end is spent playing video games and skype-chatting my friends...while we play more video games. Now, I'm by no means trying to typecast gamers or nerds here - I just have no interest in sport! However, I do have a great deal of interest in muscle and, although I've excepted the fact that I'm never going to be an absolute jock, but I would like to 'fill mself out' a bit, ya'know? So, for a while I was working out by doing 100 press ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats and an approximately 2 minute plank in relatively quick succession, but gave up after a while for various reasons. However, I would like to know if this would do me any good in terms of muscle growth in the long-ish term if I continued? (Please note I do maintain fitness roughly by cycling around 2-4 miles to and from school almost everyday)

Thanks for any advice and support, guys! (!)

- Leo (Bear in training)

2. AKTodd

Any strength building exercise regimen is going to do you some good in the long run. But you want to be doing the right kind of exercises combined with a diet that builds muscle (you can find lots of (sometimes contradictory) info on this online). I knew a guy in college who was naturally very thin but took a semester of weight training and actually bulked up pretty good with some definition. You're probably going to want to do more than just body weight exercises if you want to build bulk, but not everyone agrees with that and you can do a good bit with body weight if you want. But investing in a good pair of dumbbells probably wouldn't hurt.

Beyond issues of diet and exercise, there is the issue of genetics. If you naturally have the metabolism of a Jack Russell Terrier on triple espresso then you may find it very hard to bulk up, at least until you get into your 30s and your metabolism starts to slow down. But at only 15, you're probably still developing and its hard to say what your 'natural' look will be. Perhaps look at your father, grandfather and other male relatives for indications of build and level of body hair you might expect.

Ultimately, if you are naturally on the thin or less bulky side you might make up for it with bodybuilding or go for more of wolf or otter look rather than a bear.

Hope this helps,

Todd

3. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Start with the basics at your gym. If that's the school gym you might see if your parents will get you a membership at another local gym. Just because you should have a more mature crowd there and they will be able to give you some good pointers based on experience. But just simply start with a comfortable weight and focus on form first. My first month in the gym I don't think I went over 30 lbs. on any exercise, even bench press. I was rehabing an injury though so you probably wouldn't have to be that drastic. It sounds like you are pretty well conditioned.

Then make sure you eat right. Protein, fruits, nuts and veggies. Personally I think the protein powders are a big scam but some people like them. I just eat good stuff and that seems to be all I need.

Get enough sleep. I have a huge passion for gaming too but I cut back so that it wouldn't cut into my rest time. I then started having much better workouts.