1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I join my uni's LGBT society?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Bee12, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Bee12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey Guys! I'm starting uni in a few days and I'm debating on whether I should join or not. My Uni has a good reputation for supporting and working with those who are LGBT. However, I'm still going through this mental battle where I think I'm gay but there's an element of doubt probably due to me thinking that I need to meet society's expectation of getting a wife and having kids. Therefore, I feel like I don't belong in such a group where everyone would probably be so sure of themselves. Anyway, should I join? Does anyone have any experience of being a part of such a society? Heck, what do you even do in the society?

2. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, mostly its a place to share experiences and make friends. I personally think it would be great to at least check it out once to see what its like, then you can really decide if you wanna be a part of it or not. You can be straight and still hang out in the group, ain't no shame in that.

I've always had pretty great experiences. The two clubs I checked out, one was for uni and the other was an outside group for Queer Asians. Both were friendly and I learned a whole lot about the community.

Try to at least go to one meet up, I'm sure you'll probably like it.

3. PossumJack

You know how sometimes it's also referred to as "LGBTQ"? The Q stands for "Questioning". LGBT+ clubs welcome questioning members as well as people who are already sure about their identity (and straight allies, too). In fact, they're usually eager to help you :slight_smile:

From my experience, it's very much like a laid-back, social club where you just hang out together and discuss LGBT topics. Sometimes it also serves as an activism club to spread awareness about LGBT issues and advocate change around campus, etc. It "protects its own", so to speak, and would help you deal with any problems/difficulties/bigots you might encounter during college.

#3 PossumJack, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes you should join. You won't regret it I promise.