1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help making decisions

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Houdini, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Houdini

Hey,

So at the moment it feels like I have hit rock bottom. I have no job, hardly any friends (at least none I talk to) and apparently I am unable to make decisions of any kind. I still can’t figure anything out about my sexuality. And I am trying to find out what I want to do with the rest of my life (jobwise especially) and just nothing…I know it is a lot at the moment to handle but apparently I don’t handle any of it very well…
    Everyone always says you have to know for yourself but I just don’t. And I can’t just try everything out because I don’t have the money for it. So does anyone have advice on how to make any decisions for myself?
    Thanks

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With regards to a job, make a list of the things that you enjoy and then make a second list of things you're good at. Then try to think of jobs that relate to one or both lists. If volunteering or job shadowing opportunities are available, those are good ways to investigate possibilities without having to spend money.

I know it sounds easier to let other people make decisions for you. But in the long run, only you can know what's best for you.

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK...I had the job problem. I wanted the 'perfect' job - the problem was, I had no idea what that was. In other words, I was seeking something impossible. So how did I break out of this situation?

I looked at the wider picture. I stopped focusing on the 'perfect job' aspect of my life, and started focusing on life as a whole. Instead of finding the job that was perfect, I sought out *a* job that would help me accomplish other life goals that I had. It's not perfect - far from. But if you open one door, it will lead to more doors, more opportunities.

My advice to you is to not try and aim straight for the perfect, ideal life, but to take small steps that will help you make progress towards it. Imagine what you want for yourself, and then ask yourself: What am I going to do to get there? It may be that you find yourself having to do things that are not ideal, but a means to an end; but in the end it will pay off.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This woman, right here, knows what's up.

One thing I'll add though, if you spend too much time "looking for yourself", you'll have less time to actually be yourself. Sometimes you find yourself by just, well, doing things, and it may only come in bits and pieces. Think of it like a puzzle, only some of us are 10-piece puzzles and some of us are 1,000-piece puzzles.

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re-reading this, I have an idea for what you could do. You say you don't have any money to try things out. In that case, you should look for a job - any job at all - that will get the money coming in, and use that money to try out some different things. After you have gotten a better idea of what you really want to do, you can leave that job and start pursuing what you know you really want.

6. Houdini

Thanks a lot for your answers.
    I tend to overthink things and I guess I want to find the "perfect job". But what you say makes a lot of sense. And I does make it a lot less scary. So I guess I will try and take smaller steps. Find a job to earn money and then see what comes next.

7. Really

You might want to think about taking a small job in a big company. You never know what interesting opportunities might open up for you. Something might present itself which you never thought of. Good luck!