1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The clock is ticking and I am numb

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by tentacles, Sep 18, 2015.

1. tentacles

In less than three months I have to do an entrance exam to go to college. It's the first one of a series of three, all in three years. It's very important to do it and go well, since this exam is the easiest way to get into the best college of my town. The problem is: I haven't studied at all. I feel completely numb and couldn't care less about this test. I also don't know what should I study, so there it is.
    Does anyone have tips to stop procrastinating, care about my future and study?
    Thank you (!)

2. DAXIII

I think you should reevaluate your priorities. You're essentially going into college without a plan, also if you don't care about the test you may want to ask why.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've still got time; find out what's on the test and get good at it. :wink:

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First start pinpointing exactly what you need to do and what you need to revise for for your subjects. After that, break down those into smaller steps- eg, read one chapter of this, make notes on this section of that, practice questions for this. Put all of these into a timetable and a to-do list, so you do a little a day- not too much that you're overworked- but you still make steady progress.

5. vrykolakas

vrykolakas Guest

First of all, don't beat yourself up for procrastinating. We all do it. That being said, it seems to ne that you need to give some thought to what interests you. Are you good at explaining things to others and helping them to learn? Would teaching interest you? Are you the one that everyone comes to with their problems? Perhaps you'd be happy as a counselor. Do computers and technology fascinate you? This stage is not about "selecting a career" but about getting to know yourself, what holds your interest, what gets you excited and happy. If you have a goal, it's much easier to focus.

From your post, you sound like a thoughtful and intelligent person. Three months is a good chunk of study time, and I have no doubt that you can ace this test if you try. But first, spend a little time exploring you...and Good luck!

6. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Everyone procrastinates. As others have stated, maybe a lack of clear goals to work for is making you apathetic. Try listing your goals for a month from now, six months from now, a year from now, five years from now and ten years from now. Where do you see yourself? What do you see yourself doing? What do you think you'll be happy doing? This will help you start thinking about the things you want to work for as you prepare for your exams and college.

7. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Maybe you don't really want to go down this career path?
    If you do, time to buckle down. I'm a big believer in making
    study notes. It really helped me understand and remember stuff.
    Focus on main points and important information AND things you think
    will very likely be on the test.

I would do study notes, review them the night before and the morning of the exam,
    walk into the exam room and let my brain take over.

Start writing down a few study notes today. No more fiddling around!

8. Ladyhawk

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Trust me I've been there! What might help is to start by writing down what exactly you need to do and creating a schedule leading up to the exam. Put it up somewhere you can see it so you literally can't avoid it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. tentacles

College in my country is different. Everybody does the test to go into it, even if the person is not certain about what he/she wants. I know what I want to do, but I don't have the energy to study the minimum. My grades in school have gotten worse in the last months and I just want to be able to study again.

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2015 at 06:47 PM ----------

I know exactly what I want to do, I just feel numb. I think this is my depression attacking me again (I was diagnosed when I was 11/12 years old, I've passed through hell several times).
    And thank you, you are very kind :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2015 at 06:48 PM ----------

A big thank you to everybody who's answered here. I'll try to follow your advice!