1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Figuratively) trying to walk again.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Artemisarked, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Artemisarked

Halfway into my third week of college, it feels as though self-cataylzing events are going both "too fast" and "too slow" simultaneously. For example: after coming out to myself about two days ago, I still have a "straight" mentality, as if I'm just in a state of passive shock and that nothing has changed about me. But on the contrary, I've joined a bunch of clubs, madea bunch of accquaintances, and am decently keeping up with work and time commitments. But all of it feels so...empty. I mean, I've endured high school just to be able to enjoy the privilege of coming to college, but now that I'm here, the whole spark and enthusiasm I anticipated is gone, and I'm just flatlining? I don't expect each day to be all jovial and pleasant, but I've noticed a lack in them instead. I've kind of depersonalized from myself and I'm just going through the motions as I did in high school. Even after coming out to myself, I still feel a bit closeted due to the small size and fair lack of privacy in my college (for example, even with one or two LGBT clubs on campus there's not much of a minority group (which I am a part of) that identifies as LGBT). I get that there's a large opportunity for me to develop in terms of academics, but personally with my newfound identity? Not that much.

I'm upset because it feels like I have to wait until after college in order to live a "free and independent" life that I want to aim for, and I've already begrudged high school. Now I may have to do it for college as well. I just don't get it. When does this cycle ever end?

2. Artemisarked