1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic Roommates

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Xeno, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple of weeks ago, I left home and started college. I was really excited about it because everyone told me that you could be yourself and not worry about what your conservative parents thought.

But then I found out that I'm living with five other guys and I found out that at least three of them aren't exactly okay with gayness.

I've heard one roommate say a certain slur a couple of times, another one has said that he would move out if one of us was gay and I think the other one heard me talk to my mom about a GSA and he hasn't talked to me since.

So now I'm afraid to be myself here and afraid that if I go to the college's GSA, my roommates will find out and hurt me.

Anyone have some advice of what to do? I would be extremely grateful for it, if you do, cause I literally have no clue.

2. guitar

Wow man, you have really shitty roommates. I went to 2 universities in southern Ontario, and hung out regularly at 2 others. Even 7-8 years ago, most I met were very gay friendly so I'm kinda shocked & sad for you.(*hug*)

As for what to do, I can't really say. If you come out, your year could be a living hell full of torment. If you don't come out the closet could suffocate you. College is a time to try new things, experiment, meet new people. It's harder to do that in the closet. In hindsight, I really regret not being out in college. I don't know if that would have made my experience better or worse, but I would have been me. Which part of the province are you in? North? South? GTA?

3. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to Google, I'm in Southern Ontario.