1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voices?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AsheTheHuman, Sep 24, 2015.

1. AsheTheHuman

I experience these thoughts that don't seem to come from my brain, but actually somewhere else. They are mean and nasty and hateful toward me, so I call them my demons. I literally shut down earlier today because they played out a scenario in my head in which I was beaten, raped and tortured, and then told me that this was what I deserved. Fortunately at this point, I was able to say "Okay, I don't really deserve that. That's just what they're telling me.", but it still got to me pretty badly. Anyways, what I want to ask is this. Does anyone else experience these weird almost out of body thoughts? I really can't seem to shake them. I'm already on depression meds, and they've worked for quite some time, but my demons seem to be slipping through anyways.

2. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Talk to a doctor - they may have to change your meds. A lot of mental health issues such as schizophrenia can cause delusions and 'voices'. You're not alone - remember that.

3. AsheTheHuman

Thanks. I don't think it's schizophrenia. They're not auditory, they play out in my mind as if they're thoughts but they don't feel like they're mine.

4. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I understand that you have already been diagnosed as having Major Depressive Disorder and am under treatment for it. I must clarify though that Psychosis is not limited to "auditory hallucinations". Hallucinations, sensory perceptions in the absence of external stimuli are not purely auditory, they can also be tactile, visual, olfactory, gustatory, proprioceptive, equilibrioceptive, nociceptive, thermoceptive and chronoceptive. Hallucinations in itself are just ONE ASPECT of Psychosis, Psychosis can also com in the form of Delusions. On being Persecutory Delusions--- "They are mean and nasty and hateful toward me, so I call them my demons. I literally shut down earlier today because they played out a scenario in my head in which I was beaten, raped and tortured, and then told me that this was what I deserved".

We must remember that Psychosis is associated with Severe Major Depressive Disorder. But is not solely limited to it--- Bipolar Disorder Spectrum, Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder. It is BEST to address this issue with your Psychiatrist. He or she is at the best place to accord you the proper advice and treatment that you need. No advice from I nor anyone from EC is a substitute for that of a competent and licensed Psychiatrist. The Psychiatrist in this case will assess you further and may decide to increase dosages of your current medications, shift or prescribe you new medications, and/or ultimately even reevaluate your current diagnosis. Please see yours right away.

5. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

Yes, of course. They're almost constant for me, even with my medication. They don't just verbally attack me, but also other's around me, calling them things I don't even want to say here. I believe they're part of my obsessive compulsive disorder, but I'm not sure exactly. It's so stressing, and I worry they might cause me to slip someday and actually say them out loud. I can't do anything to shut them off, no matter what I do. I hope things work out for your issue with them, at least. :icon_sad:

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Please do listen to Blue787Bunny above, honey.

I also do, sometimes. I've had one serious visual hallucination and some auditory hallucinations in the past few months. And I can be a bit delusional in general when I don't keep myself under control.
    It's a part of a problem that can be fixed. Remember that you are not alone and that you can do this! I believe in you! (*hug*)
    Take care. x

7. AsheTheHuman

Thanks everyone. The voices only got worse today I'm afraid, and now they're sending me images and they're not particularly good ones. My psychologist was out of office today, but I's seeing someone as late as Tuesday, possibly before that if my psychologist can do a weekend or has an open slot on Monday. Until then, I'm staying safe, surrounding myself with people (my little brother is sitting nearby playing Mario Maker) and just trying to distract myself. BrokenRecord and Becki, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in this. That was my primary want in posting this, as it felt befre like I was the only one I knew who suffered from this. So thanks ^_^ I'm doing okay now, but night is heading and that's always the worst. Just going to try keeping myself occupied.

8. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

It seems to me that it's quite serious, I think you should see a therapist. By the way, "demons" in their original form in the Greek culture weren't evil, Christianity made them evil so if you call these negative voices demons, you might just subconsciously nake it worse by tying into this Christian idea.

9. AshleyDi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Do they have names?

10. SHIELDAgentAlex

I've had something similar, where these voices and images encourage me to hurt people around me, tell me how to do it…it scares me, honestly, and I just leave the room afterward and sit on my bed reading Calvin and Hobbes for hours until I no longer feel murderous. It's terrifying, really, because these are so vivid, and about my friends and family, the people I love.

11. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would definitley see a pschologist or therapist about that. Thoughts hurt no one, but you can never tell when you will act on them. Better safe than sorry <3

---------- Post added 26th Sep 2015 at 08:11 PM ----------

SOMEONE FINALLY KNOWS THIS
    I always start up this argument but no one ever believes me when I say demons aren't evil.

---------- Post added 26th Sep 2015 at 08:11 PM ----------

To all of you, you aren't alone. I promise.

12. AsheTheHuman

HunGuy, since I started calling the my demons, I've actually felt better about them. I wasn't eve thinking of religion when I named them my demons, but rather an online webcomic that really resonated with me.

I've never had a conversation with them Ashley. It's always been them talking to me, I've never been able to communicate with them.

Alex, thanks for helping me know that I'm not alone with this. I hope things get better for you as well.

13. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to have things similar to this, and I still sometimes do on occasion. For me, they used to talk to each other sometimes and also say things that were depressing and concerning to me. Sometimes, I would audibly hear them as well. It sounds like a milder form of this, but it isn't necessarily schizophrenia. For me, it helped to pay attention to how the scenarios/comments evolved. Figure out what it is that they are trying to say. It may not be direct, but rather in a metaphorical sense. Given the fact that you said the scenario involved you being beaten and raped, it may have merely represented your fears. Sometimes, that is all that is the case with regard to these experiences. They represent your fears in a literal or metaphorical way. I am not necessarily encouraging you to do this, but with me I actually had dialogues with them. They sometimes would provide me with interesting and insightful advice on various situations.

#13 Contact1111, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  14. tourettesqueen

Do you think that perhaps you could have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder(OCD)? People with OCD have intrusive thoughts, which are unwanted thoughts, often disturbing ones. You don't have to have the compulsions to have OCD. Some people have only the obsessions, or intrusive thoughts. When you have only obsessions that is what some people refer to as "pure O". I have OCD and if you want to talk feel free. I cannot however, private message as I am not yet a full member. I am close to meeting the requirements, so I hope that soon will change.

15. photoguy93

Hey there - I saw this come up and I hope that by now you have gotten some help, OP.

I am not mental health professional - but I have recently had my Psychiatric Mental Health clinical. You were able to type a whole post and it made total sense - so I really am thinking it could be something like OCD or another condition that has your types of thoughts.

I'll add, though, that even if it were schizophrenia, there are treatment options and you can live your life. Mental illness is not a prison sentence - so just seek help and go from there. :slight_smile: