1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newby problems

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Derek Lee, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Derek Lee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just registered and I'm finding It really difficult to find my way round this site.
    How about a help area?
    For example the welcome message suggests going to the support area. But it took me a long time to find it. Why not have a button to push? How do I know it was under forums? What is a forum? I'm not an ancient Roman.

---------- Post added 25th Sep 2015 at 05:33 PM ----------

Also why 50 posts?
    That could take me until Christmas!

---------- Post added 25th Sep 2015 at 05:34 PM ----------

Or I could just go on adding silly messages

---------- Post added 25th Sep 2015 at 05:35 PM ----------

How do I edit that last one to make my smilie work? ;-)

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Derek.

Welcome to EC.

We are in the process of preparing to switch to a new, more modern platform which will hopefully be a bit easier to navigate. In the meantime, feel free to post any specific questions you have and we'll do our best to answer.

The post count is part of our security protocol. In order to keep the community safe for young people, we have a lot of "behind the curtain" procedures that help us keep track of things. Creating 50 random posts won't get you privileges any faster... if anything it would slow things down. Once you do have 50 posts, you can apply for full membership. It currently takes about 4 weeks for full membership applications to be reviewed.

One last thing: If "Derek Lee" is your real name, we will need to have you change your username, as -- per the instructions during sign-up -- we do not allow full names as usernames here. If you need to change it, post a message in the "Ask the Staff" forum and let us know what you'd like to change it to and we'll be happy to do it for you.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3. Derek Lee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for your response, Chip. Actually Derek Lee is my nom de plume. The tax man calls me something else.
    I fully appreciate the security issues. I'm slightly surprised to see so much angst about sexuality here, in these days of marriage equality. I knew I was gay from about the age of eight. I just wasn't allowed to tell anybody.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, welcome to the site! :slight_smile:
    I think everyone has a hard time getting around their first few days/weeks on the site. I know it took me a while to get used to things! If you have any questions, I'm sure many people would be willing to answer. And yup, even with marriage equality, there's still a lot of work to be done in the world for the LGBT+ community. Still a lot of bigots, unfortunately.
    Anyways, enjoy your time here!