1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My journey into homelessness

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by armada, Sep 26, 2015.

1. armada

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really don't know where to begin but here goes...

About a year ago I moved from NYC to Minnesota after meeting a girl online. We talked for 2 months until she finally flew down to meet with me. We instantly hit it off.

Things were a little rough for me. I could not afford to pay my rent on time plus I wanted to go back to school. My ex offered for me to move to MN and focus on the things I wanted to do. It was an offer I could not refuse.

I eventually gave up my apartment and drove across the country together.

Within a month my ex gf moods started to change towards me. I was having difficult time adjusting to my new home, had no friends nor family. Eventually after about 2 months of living out there I found a telemarketing job. Things were getting a little better. She seemed more happier with me.

My telemarketing job was short lived after 2 months and i was laid off. My ex gf attitude started changing for the worst towards me. I became extreamely depressed. She became even more distant towards me, started drinking excessively and begin mentally abusing me. When i retiliated she would call her mother who would corner me on the phone. My ex would deny every wrong doing and made me look like a monster towards her family. They eventually began resenting me.

I knew my time there was short live and as hard as i tried working things out with her i knew she wanted me to leave.

Unfortunate for me. i had no where to come back to. After all i had let myself get evicted out of my apartment that i was living in for 5 years.

One friday night in May we got into a huge argument. She left to go by her mother and called me on the phone to tell me she has booked a one back ticket back to NYC to leave the following Sunday. I begged in tears telling her that i had no where to go back to in NYC but she was already determined that i leave that day. I was fortunate enough because my younger sister offered for me to crash by her for a few weeks.

At the airport she had a changed of heart and in tears told me that its best we take little time apart. She said she would work her hardest on her problems (Alcoholism). We continued contacting each other while i was back in NYC. She eventually booked a ticket with a few weeks for me to fly back there. As the days were counting down , she began pointing out all my flaws etc and decided that it was best for me to stay here.

My luck would now turn to the worst. My little sister and her bf had a huge argument and i had to leave. I eventually moved with a friend that lived in Maryland. He wanted me to stay there for a few months until i found a place to stay in NYC.

Things did not work out for me in Maryland and eventually a friend of mine asked me to stay with her only for a few weeks in NY.

I eventually moved back and have been couch surfing. I am currently living with an aunt but its only for a short term since my grandmother does not speak to me. Most of the problems i have with my family is because of my sexual orientation.

I know very soon i will become homeless and looking into sleeping in the airport.

My life before this was wonderful. I had a beautiful apartment, amazing neighborhood and i was always biking. I no longer have my bikes or any of my belonings since i could not afford to have it mailed to me. She has called me several times when intoxicated threatening to get rid of my things.

I know i may never see them again but right now my main focus is finding a job amidist all this chaos.

My heart is breaking into a million pieces every second of the day. I wanted more than anything to settle with someone and focus on a brighter future but the opposite happened.

I will keep you all posted if there is any positive changes.

2. thepandaboss

First off, I'm really sorry this has happened to you and I'm really hoping things start looking up for you soon.

What resources have you looked into? I know NY's a hard city to cut it in. I don't know if you've ever applied for housing assistance but if not, thought this might at least give you a place to start: Rental Assistance Programs: New York - HUD

Also: Department of Homeless Services

You might also want to consider looking into housing and job opportunities on Craigslist and similar sites. In the meantime, whatever happened to that friend who said she had a place in NYC?

I've never been in a similar situation but I'm really hoping you pull through.