1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me pick a university^^

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spirits, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Spirits

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know it's still early for me to think of applying at a university, simply cos it's still the first trimester of my senior year in High school.
    But hey! there's nothing wrong with starting early, this way I can at least know that I have few universities for me out there to look up for.

So, I need you guys , to help me find a good university.
    requirements:

• Must have a LGBT friendly environment
      Must teach Public relations (cos that's what I'm planning to study)
      Tuition fees should not exceed 20k Euros ( scholarship offers are appreciated :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )
      Should be in one of the following countries : UK / Canada (the English side) / Australia /US -> Countries are written in order from the most to the least wanted (we all know that US is a major money sucker , I'm not made out of money :dry:slight_smile:

And thank you for your help (*hug*)

#1 Spirits, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I wonder if you could provide some more details on your area of study. The area of public relations can be covered in different programs in Canada. For example there is Public Administration/Public Policy and Governance. Some universities offer programs that have aspects of 'public relations' in them. :slight_smile:

How much money are you willing to spend on living costs (housing, food, etc...)? In Canada, the living costs between cities and provinces differs to some extent. Depending on how much you can afford or are willing to spend, it could determine the universities to look at/consider.

3. Manitoban

I'm a university student in Canada. Pretty much all the publicly funded universities are LGBT safe/positive from what I understand. At mine you'll definitely get an earful if your against LGBT rights. For example one of my profs. Is a lesbian we found out cause her wife had to drop off something in the middle of class. There wasn't so much as a murmur from the class about it. Similarly all urban areas will more or less be okay for you. Though people will certainly say Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are the best. Though cities like Winnipeg, Halifax, Saskatoon and Regina will have much lower living costs.

Weather wise Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta will be the coldest. British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland will be the warmest. And Ontario and Quebec will be somewhere in-between.

All major Canadian institutions in every province has degrees widely recognized. And pretty much everyone of them would have a PR degree. Though they may call it communications or something like that. I would recommend a University more geared towards art degree over research universities. My personal recommendations just off of anecdotal evidence and what I've heard(anyone please feel free to discredit me or offer more info)

British Columbia
    -University of Victoria

Alberta
    -University of Calgary

Saskatchewan
    -University of Saskatchewan
    -University of Regina

Manitoba
    -University of Winnipeg

Ontario
    -Carleton University
    -University of Ottawa
    -Wilfred Laurier University
    -University of Western Ontario

Québec(Anglo side)
    -Concordia University

New Brunswick
    -University of New Brunswick

Nova Scotia
    -Dalhousie University

Newfoundland/PEI I dont know much about.

Like I said I'm not sure if the large research universities would have the best, though no doubt good, education for this kind of degree. Their faculties may be small in this field and as a result their listings may be limited. These types of schools would be like University of British Columbia, University of Manitoba, University of Toronto and Mcgill university. I say this despite them ranking high in international rankings.

I hope this helps and if you got any questions about Canadian culture, our university structures etc... Let me know. I'm a current double major in Politics and Conflict Resolution. So id like to think I have an idea of things here. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 27th Sep 2015 at 01:59 PM ----------

Though I know University of British Columbia has been making itself very approachable for international students in general.

4. Spirits

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My current area of study is Arts (it's similar to humanities) as we study languages (english/french/arabic) , history , geography , philosophy , art class , poetry and human thoughts (how civilizations are built and how humans live with each other ect..)
    So anything that can relate to that will suit me the best.

Also , trust me when I say that Living costs won't matter as long as I can get accepted at a decent university however, starting from my 2nd year I'm planing on finding a part time job to help me with the living costs while studying.

->I already posted above that the tuition fees should not exceed 20k Euros

Thank you! <3
    I don't know why you posted the weather of each region in Canada.
    I can adapt with cold weathers, infact , winter makes me look so fabulous :3

Anyway, I will google these universities later and see if I have more questions^^

#4 Spirits, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  5. Manitoban

Haha... Well if you end up in the prairies in -50 and still have the same attitude you'll be more well adjusted than the locals :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah okay. Being willing to spend 20,000 Euros/$CAD 29,000 that will give you a good range of universities to pick from. That said, some universities will ask you to pay CAD $17,000 or more per year as an international student.

As for the area of study, another university I would add to the list that Manitoban created is the University of Windsor, as its programs in the Social Sciences/Humanities are quite good and it does have a large international student population thus offering a wide variety of services and support to international students. Plus, international students don't pay as high a tuition as at some of the other universities, which could give you perhaps a bit more of a financial security should you not be able to find a part-time job as easily during your second year.

You might also want to look into the programs that McMaster University is offering; although the University of Western Ontario, the University of Victoria, Carleton University, and Dalhousie University would be the ones I'd start with. :slight_smile:

7. Foz

Foz Guest

In the UK I'd pick either the University of Edinburgh or Durham University, I've been to both and they are probably the best 2 unis in the UK, both of which are in the top 100 universities in the world. What made these 2 stand out for me was the sheer number of clubs and societies as well as the enthusiasim the staff had towards their subjects. Both have very large LGBT and International groups :slight_smile:

8. Spirits

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Guys I got some bad news =.=
    Due to terrorist and the fact that our country relies mainly on tourism , our currency dropped down by far, So now I can't afford a 20k Euro tuition fees.
    So highest I could afford now is 15k Euro and still won't be that easy.

*editing the first post*

_________

Can't edit my first post o.o

#8 Spirits, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  9. Manitoban

That is still 22,000CAD. Most Canadian universities dont charge more than 20,000CAD for international students seeking arts degrees.

The Canadian dollar is falling at the moment due to low oil prices. Unless oil prices rebound globally I imagine the Canadian dollar would stay suppressed.

10. Foz

Foz Guest

In the UK foreign student fees are about £15,000 (currently just over €20,000) which given the strong pound and weak currency of the majority of the world the UK is now quite an expensive place! Have you looked into Germany? Due to their birthrate crisis they have abolished tuition fees for international students and they still offer bursaries to cover accommodation fees.

But lookup what international student support Edinburgh and Durham offer as they are exactly what you are looking for from a social aspect.

11. Spirits

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    k those are some good news ;o (for me at least)
    So this means that the Canadian universities mentioned above still fit in the 15k euro range?

I'm definitely not planning to study in Germany , simply cos they will send me back to my country after I finish my studies lol , and there's no chance for me to get a double nationality in there.

12. Manitoban

In general you should be okay.

This link has the average tuition rates for all major schools in the country.

Tuition fees by Canadian university | UniversityStudy.ca

Remember that some outside of Quebec teach en francais as well.

Eg. Université de Saint-Boniface in Manitoba.

Also going way back to your original point about being early thinking about this. I actually think your right on time. In my province of Manitoba universities start doing early acceptance in just a couple months. Though the official final deadline isn't until June typically. Point is as an international student it may take longer for your application to be processed. So starting "early" is a good idea.

Also as Foz pointed out apply for bursaries and awards. It may stretch your money.

---------- Post added 2nd Oct 2015 at 08:20 PM ----------

Also factor in the cost of wire transfers from your nation(I assume) and the exchange rate fees. These can be substantive additional costs.

13. Spirits

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm that link is helpful,

Though, I must take the IELTS and TOEFL Asap , unfortunately the earliest date for IELTS in this country is December, so I'll have to w8 :S

Also , Idk why ,but I always freak out when I hear about paper works QQ
    Like what documents I need and how should they be ect...
    Also , in every application there is this "why you think you should be in our university?" question.
    How should I answer lol.

#13 Spirits, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015