1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Integrating into an LGBT Community in Real Life

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by theKatia, Sep 30, 2015.

1. theKatia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I've recently moved as well as have recently figured out and accepted that I'm lesbian. I've more or less come out to the group of people who are important in my life so far except family, but they are all straight and I really want to find at least one friend who is also lgbt that I can meet in real life- just someone to talk and relate to at least. More importantly though, I want to find an offline community to integrate with and get a feel for, hopefully to increase my chances of finding a girlfriend eventually.

I Know there are a few existing communities that I can get to semi-easily, the problem is that I know very little of and about gay culture and don't really understand what I do know. I I'm from a relatively more conservative background. Another thing is that I tend to be shy and more introverted. Any advice on how to work with those things to start getting a sense of belonging in some sort of community?

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long as it's safe for you to do so, here are some options:

If you're in school or college, there might be an LGBT+ or GSA group around, and if you're not in school or college, if you can find one of these groups locally then that's a good place to start meeting an offline LGBT+ community.

Since you already know a few I'd say give them a go- you don't have to know everything about gay culture, in fact you can go there to learn! It's simply a process, but if you're really worried about learning more before you join, online is a great place to ask and find out some answers to your questions. You can also familiarize yourself with LGBT+ media, movies/TV shows/books and all, which are pretty easy to find online. Once you feel a bit more comfortable you can go to those communities. Nobody is going to test you on how much you know and whether or not you "qualify" to join, these groups should be open to anyone who wants to be there.

There's nothing wrong with being more shy and introverted! I'm the same way, but personally with my LGBT+ group that I'm in I mostly go to listen and just be part of that group rather than have to be vocal 100% of the time. It's nice to just be there and know that you're not alone.

Good luck with it, and if you have any questions about anything EC is also a great place to be for that.

3. CapQuestionmark

From my experience, the LGBTQA+ Community is probably one of the most welcoming and accepting communities I've ever seen, and have had the pleasure of being a part of.
    There are so many people who will just open up their arms and their heart to you without asking questions or expecting anything in return. Care, love, and support is what keeps us all afloat, especially since there is a lot of hate thrown our way for just simply being who we are.
    So, you should totally go for trying to join as many different groups as you can; there's no harm in it, and you'll still have the chance to gain a little more experience along the way.

I wish you the best of luck! ^.^

4. crazydiamond

I've heard those meet up sites are pretty popular. I go to a weekly meeting for LGBT people in their 20s and 30s, and a lot of the people that go learned about it via Meetup. We talk, go to events, have movie and game nights, stuff like that. I've made a lot of good friends. I really recommend it.