1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feels weird talking to a counselor

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by loveislove01, Oct 4, 2015.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's weird, I've been seeking one out for ages, and I finally met with her this Friday, and she is a good person, it's just, I don't know what to say in front of her.

I know I do have depression, I know I criticise myself a lot more than I should, social anxiety, relationship troubles...etc. And I do struggle with them on a daily basis.. I've been losing sleep and my appetite over it multiple times. Thing is, when I talk to her, I just feel weird. I say my problems in a way it sounds like I'm making it up, or exxagerating. I can't seem to express myself well in front of her. She did promise confidentiality, but I'm also super paranoid that if I mention sexuality, girlfriend problems, she'll talk to my parents about it. I don't really know what to say in front of her. I mean, I don't look like I'm upset the majority of the time. I have an appointment tomorrow morning, and I'm a bit nervous, I guess.

2. Distant Echo

She knows you're nervous. She'll make allowances for that and give you time to settle in and trust her.
    Give her a chance. It's more than her job's worth to speak to your parents, to break your confidentiality.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talking about ourselves and how we feel can be a nerve-wracking time. Talk about what’s happening and how you’re feeling. She’s not going to think that you’re making it up or exaggerating. Getting it all out is what you’re there for. Confidentiality is very important to encourage trust within your relationship you’re your counselor. If you have any concerns about confidentiality, it’s okay to discuss them with her.

4. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's understandable, but just be honest with her. It's her job to help you. If she promised confidentiality, then she'll most likely not mention it to your parents, but if you're not completely comfortable, ask her again just to make sure. I guess that's only natural, she should understand. Good luck~

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every therapist who works with teens knows that teens often have difficulty expressing themselves, that trust is an issue, and that it's hard to talk about some things. Just relax and be yourself, and as you get to know her, and she you, the situation will improve dramatically.