1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to go to a men's discussion and activities group

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lifeafter30, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Lifeafter30

Lifeafter30 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There's a men's discussion and activities group tonight at this place just a few miles from me. I want to go. But I'm afraid. I don't think I have anything to offer anyone in the way of advice and I don't want to humiliate myself by being a sick person in a group full of well adjusted men. I don't think I can just show up anyway. I don't think it's a walk in type of situation. I was lying in bed for hours last night feeling so lonely I couldn't bear it. All I wanted was for a man to tell me he loves me. I've been watching QAF a lot lately and forgetting that these characters are not real. I'm becoming so absorbed in it that I really believe it's real. The thought that it's not is horrifying to me. It sends feelings of intense dread and anxiety throughout my body. I'm so lonely.

2. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do it!! I backed out on a LGBT meeting once and really regret it. Please go for it!

3. thepandaboss

I agree with questions4ever. I skipped out on LGBT meetings, trans support groups, and more because I was either too anxious to go or didn't think it would help. I probably missed out on a lot of friend making opportunities. You never know. Even if you only go to this group once, you won't know if you click with it or not unless you at least try to go.

4. Cedar

I agree with the two above me, you should really give it a go! You never know what might happen and besides, it's called a "support group" for a reason, don't be ashamed to have issues. Everybody has issues, even those that seem to be well-adjusted. Maybe all those guys can help you with yours?:thumbsup:

5. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with everyone above. You have to try and go. I find the hardest part when going somewhere for the first time is getting out of my car once I arrive. But I have to say once you get there it becomes a lot easier. It is never as bad as you think, quite the opposite actually.

6. aussielefty

I'm supposed to be going to a dinner at a local restaurant with the local gay support group, and I'm scared Sh*****ssss

I know I really want to go, not to see if I meet any one I like but to get out there, but I am just so bloody scared of doing new things, I'm not good in groups but I know I cant just depend on gay hook up sites... (thats ok for a quick one nighter ) but I'm past that now!

so scared, would rather go thru heart operations etc...

7. aussielefty

well that went well, went to the place where we were supposed to meet
    but no one came up to greet me at all...

I couldn't tell who was who so many people at the venue and even though I waited
    for half an hour , I got a panic attack and left..

felt so crappy after ward...

8. crazydiamond

I think you should definitely go! There aren't a whole lot of meetings for lesbians here except for one where there are lots of older women who look at me like a piece of meat. So I went to one for gay men and they welcomed my girlfriend and I with open arms. We go every Thursday and it's like a big family. Don't let fear hold you back. It's extremely important in our community to have support and a safe place where you can be yourself.