1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom told me not to tell the GYNO about my sexuality

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TimeLady, Oct 15, 2015.

1. TimeLady

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So my Mom knows about my sexuality, which she believes is just a phase, or that I'll grow out of it later in my twenties. I went to the GYNO the other day and put myself down as bisexual. My doctor then asked if I had "decided yet" between either wanting to be with a man or a woman. I later told my Mom about it as it was both a bit annoying and a little funny. She then told me not to tell them about my sexuality, because they "don't need to know that." Is she right?

#1 TimeLady, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, your doctor should know. It sounds like your doctor may need some updated information on bisexuality.

3. Yosia

Your doctor is one of the only people who really need to know pretty much everything. Afterall, they are the ones who will be saving your life if anything goes wrong.

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2015 at 07:22 PM ----------

Also, don't be frightened about other people finding out if you tell them, the medical sector has the most strict confidentiality laws. I would read what they are specifically for your area though.

4. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My opinion is that you should tell your doctor whether or not you're sexually active, and I think you only need to go into specifics (i.e. your sexuality) if he/she requires more information. That's how I understand it anyway, and that's how I'd assume it works. I've never been to a gynaecologist, so I don't really have first-hand experience. I think most doctors assume we're straight anyway, so maybe you don't even need to go into specifics at all. I don't know, I'm just guessing :shrug:

Oh, and welcome to EC! (&&&)

#4 Ruby Dragon, Oct 15, 2015
  5. bidemi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    U should tell him your doctor needs to know everything about your health(its for your own good)
    And if possible buy him a book about bisexuality. Some folks still have outdated ideas about sexuality and believe that u can only be straight or gay.

#5 bidemi, Oct 15, 2015