1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auditory hallucinations?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by zeecoop, Oct 16, 2015.

1. zeecoop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Morning...

So, last night I was laying in bed at about 8:00 - just waiting for it to get a bit later so i could fall asleep (have been pressured by colleagues to get more sleep so i arrive at work early).

While I was laying there I heard (What i thought) was music in the distance. IT sounded like bells, and it sounded quiet cool and amazing. Then my brother knocked on my door and I took my head from out my pillow and the sounds got a lot quiter. Which I thought was strange because i figured the noise would increase as he opende my bedroom door - which is didn't. I was anxious for him to leave so I could listen out for this music again. I put my head under my covers and the music just slowly got louder then was really quiet intense... Then eventually after a minute or so it just slowed down, heard 2 or 3 dominant GONGS of these bells that I was hearing then it just stopped instantly.

Ive seen documentaries an read posts online about this sort of this... anyone ever had this? Could it of just been music in the distance (From next door or from a car or something?) possibly... But at the time i was thinking "wow, this isnt actually real".

....how frightening

#1 zeecoop, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2015
  2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could be tinnitus?

I get this really high-pitched siren or something that "goes off" in my ears from time to time. I mostly hear it when I'm lying down, though it occasionally happens at random times during the day too. I don't hear it every day/evening, but it usually lasts for about 30 seconds to a minute, then stops.

3. zeecoop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    THis was Bells donging. If it was tinnitus (Which ive experienced tinnitus-like-symptoms before) then it was ridicuoulsy more intense.

Im just gonna wait for it to happen again. Its one of those things where you cant do anything about it. was just hoping that someone might recognise this experience. but i guess not.

if i get anything similar happen ill probably just write down my experience straight away so i can show a mental health doctor - even tho i hear they just give out pills like theres no tomorrow.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had it once on a meditation retreat. It was like orchestral music. I think it is because a busy mind suddenly slowing down (like you were in your bedroom) needs some 'noise' to compensate for the 'quiet'. I had it a while but not since so it never bothered me much..

5. Lindsey23

6. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it could be tinnitus. the people who have it, described to have a constant sound going off in their ear whether it could be high or low pitch. there's a reason for that. that ringing in your ear could either be a warning or a fancy way of saying "you're not going to hear this certain sound for the rest of your life". you can probably trigger this easily by having headphones on all day, and taking them off in a quiet environment where the ringing can start occurring. there's a certain level of sound where the ear automatically builds up this wall that protects your hearing from damaging itself. it could also be the result of that as well. it's a shitload of factors into it, but just know that your hearing is very sensitive. if you haven't been surrounded by extremely loud noises like the streets of nyc, or jet airplanes, or even a loud concert for a good amount of time, you are more likely to hear better then normal. in terms of hallucination, it could be possible that either your mind is playing tricks on you, or you're in an environment where sound is more likely to absorb rather then reflect off the surface. There's even a room called the Anechoic Chamber, where the sound is guaranteed to absorb and can cause a person to hallucinate or go a bit insane. hope that answers it, i'd be happy to explain it a bit more in detail, if i have time haha.

7. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not necessarily and most often not the case. It is a good idea though to write down the experience, if it happens again. Try to note if you notice a "pattern" developing wherein there are premeditating circumstances, situations or basically anything out of norm before these "auditory hallucinations" happen. Hallucinations need not be brought about by Mental Disorders necessarily, something as trivial as prolonged sleep disturbance (lack of sleep) can cause hallucinations. True that certain Mental Disorders can carry hallucinatory symptoms--- Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder Spectrum, Schizophrenia to name some. But do "hallucinations" automatically warrant medications? NO. Especially if the person who experiences it has awareness that it is NOT REAL, that is the person does not have a break from reality. There are actually a number of persons who suffer from hallucinations but live completely normal lives. Medications for hallucinations are basically warranted if they are indeed secondary to actual Mental Disorders, hallucinations prove to be an impediment to the activities of daily living of the sufferer. Or MOST ESPECIALLY if hallucinations are proven to be a danger to oneself and to others.

The above mentioned is purely theoretical since there isn't actual diagnosis that it was indeed a hallucinatory experience. Do note my advice is not a substitute for that of a competent and licensed Psychiatrist.