1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anxiety my fault?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by emmadances, Oct 16, 2015.

1. emmadances

Out Status:
    Some people
    So I wanted to get counciling for my social anxiety disorder, but my parents said it was my own fault for having it, and that everyone has it. And that I am overreacting.
    What tf did I do to cause myself to have social anxiety??

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm struggling to imagine how they arrive at the conclusion that it's your own fault. Have they even attempted to explain why they think that?

It's certainly not true that everyone has social anxiety. It's normal for people to experience a degree of anxiety about some situations, including social situations, but not to the crippling extent that some people suffer from with social anxiety. How bad is it for you?

3. emmadances

Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really It's more like we're right and you listen to us. It is quite bad for me and Its getting quite worse lately, my parents say I embarrass them :frowning2: they think that its an act I put on when its really not.
    They do think it is something I need to get over on my own
    Thanks though :slight_smile:

4. go figure

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If anything I think your parents have made it worse for you.
    People who think anxiety is anything like normal nervousness, tend to think people are just being dramatic. They have no idea that they are contributing to the problem.

If there is a way for you to get some help then you should. Only you know what your feeling. They have no right to say those words to you. No parent should ever belittle their kid especially when they are trying to reach out for some help.

It's NOT your fault!!

5. Grounded Eagle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the same problem with my parents. Growing up, I was always "shy" and it was presumed that I would grow out of it. I'm in my mid 20s now, and I am still as relationship-challenged as before, although I push myself into social situations and can manage to perform fairly well sometimes. But that's all it is: a performance. Then as people try to get to know me, I shrink back. And I can't turn to anyone for advice because my parents and family refuse to believe there's a real problem. They see the good performances and think I'm just blowing things out of proportion. (And when they do give me advice, it's 'Just pray to the Lord, and he'll help you.' :bang:slight_smile:

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As someone who's suffered from Anxiety my entire life I can certainly tell you that it doesn't go away on its own. Your parents are completely false when they say that everyone suffers from anxiety, not to this extent anyway.

I second the suggestion of trying to get some help if you can, it would do wonders! Believe me! :slight_smile: your anxieties aren't your fault, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

7. emmadances

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone <3 I think I'm gonna go for it, and talk to the school nurse about it :slight_smile:

8. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You won't regret it! (*hug*)

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't ever, ever, ever let someone tell you that you caused your own anxiety.

Anxiety is caused by a variety of factors, but if it is persistent and ongoing, it is basically an imbalance in the neurotransmitters that regulate mood and sense of safety. This is a biochemical process that can result from a variety of factors, most commonly issues that happen very early in life that impact how mother and infant bond, as much of the brain development that happens is dependent on this very early mother/child bond.

So basically if the neurotransmitters that affect calming response are deficient, or the ones that impact arousal toward "fight or flight" are overactive... you'll feel anxiety.

Therapy, over time, helps to rewire these neurotransmitter pathways and normalize them. In the meantime, your therapist can help you develop strategies for dealing with the feelings and calming yourself down.

There are also medications that can do this, but in general, unless the anxiety is so crippling that you can't function, starting first with therapy is a better choice as, often, you'll be able to get it under control without any need to constantly take medication. But in any case, this is something that your therapist can discuss with you and s/he will be able to make a recommendation as to the best course of action.

10. emmadances

Out Status:
    Some people
  11. zuice

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    On whatever issue, if you only talk to certain persons, you will be made to believe its your own fault that you don't believe the same things that they believe in. I had a personal problem and discovered I blamed myself for not resolving it because the ones I talked to about it were brainwashing me. With EC, post your concern, and you will be guided to the path of choices.