1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girlfriend Tells Our Friends About Problems, But Not Me

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by felix t, Oct 21, 2015.

1. felix t

Out Status:
    Some people
    Girlfriend May Be Suicidal

My girlfriend has had depression for over a year now, mostly stemming from her mother ridiculing, mistreating, verbally and emotionally abusing her. Last May, I found out she was self harming and had attempted suicide, which we discussed with our school counselors. In my state, counselors are legally required to report self harm/suicidal thoughts to parents, which in turn, resulted in her mother snapping at her and destroyed her trust in counseling. She has no phone or means of communicating with me or anyone else that can help her from home.

A close friend of mine informed me today that my girlfriend's mother had outed her to my gf's aunt, and that all of her extended family is aware that she's dating a "girl" (I'm a trans guy, but not out yet). My girlfriend has been acting very, very depressed and irritable, even more so than when she last made an attempt to take her life. I'm not as mad that she won't talk to me, but I'm extremely worried and afraid that she'll do something terrible.

What can I do to be there for her? Should I call the police to inform them of a person who may be suicidal? Her mother has been dragging this on for far too long, and I'm determined to stop it.

#1 felix t, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015