1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression: Would you rather?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Linus, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Forgive me if anyone takes this as offensive for any reason. Just putting that out there; people on this particular forum seem sensitive, and I can be too, so just... Try not to take anything the wrong way.

Say there's a severely depressed person who wants to die/harm themselves and really should be hospitalized because they are severely mentally unstable.

Then say there's another depressed person. People don't really see them as depressed, so that person tries to convince themselves that they aren't. They still hate themselves though, and sometimes they want to die, and they can't really bring themselves to care about their life.

Which would you rather be? One one hand, being the lesser depressed person seems like the safer option, because you could probably help yourself, right? just get in the right mind set.

On the other hand, the lesser depressed, is still considered "lesser." In other words, they don't deserve to die, because there are so many other depressed people in the world, if that one person were to die, what's to stop them all from dying? It would be an insult to those in a worse situation. Death is a luxury that the lesser depressed can't afford, because nobody thinks that they're unhappy, and no one would even understand if they died, because they're not actually considered to be depressed.
    So they're forced to live, and be unhappy, whereas, the majorly depressed person has the option of suicide.

Which is better? Death, or Life?

The question sounds simple to a clear minded person, but... If you were depressed... Which would you rather?

2. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ive been both and they both suck. Tho sometimes i wish i were "depressed enough" to be hospitalized again because it helped SO much. But at the same time when i have my deeply down moments i get terrified and panic.

So id choose neither, for $800, Alex.

PiS has a bit of an untertone about not taking mental illness seriously, not offended but i worry the hurt this may cause someone who is currently not coping at all. Its not a game of would you rather...

3. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    They're both miserable but I would take severely depressed to get it over quicker

4. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, yes, I see the tital is both inappropriate and misleading. Honestly I was trying to lighten up my own mood with that. I get that it's not a game. I was like, making a bad self joke if that makes sense. Ha. Ha. You're not funny Linus. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a severe depressive episode 3 years ago, which got me hospitalized for 10 days. My medication was adjusted and I haven't had another episode since, thankfully.

I know you didn't mean to offend anyone, and understand that you were trying to lift your own mood, but please keep in mind that many of us here struggle with depression, and depression is serious, not a game or a trivia. :slight_smile:

6. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, I get it, Linus isn't funny; Linus takes these things too lightly. Well I don't. I'm depressed too here. People don't see me being depressed, and it's sometimes hard for me to see myself as depressed, but if I think about harming or even killing myself and don't care about life, then that's depression, right? But, if you think too seriously about depression, it makes you feel worse. Like, have any of you ever had, like, health class or something, where you're studying depression and the whole thing just makes you feel horrible as you mentally count off just how many bad symptoms apply to you? It's freaking depressing. Like, that's why I stopped going to the depression help group at my school. Because the whole mood is depressing. And that doesn't help, right? It's important to smile. Understand, I wasn't taking this lightly, or making it a game. But it doesn't have to be completely serious and depressing to talk about. It's just a question. Okay? Smile peoples. It's good for you.

Try to be safe. I will too.

#6 Linus, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  7. TheRainbowPsych

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, were on the same boat. I just can't stop trying to kill myself when people see me so happy out there but deep inside I'm severely damaged. My childhood is scared, my family hates lgbt people, I have trust issues with everyone, and a messed up anxiety problem which leads me to depression. I try to think myself out of it and enjoy life. But sometimes I'm so down I literally cut myself.
    So I feel you.

8. Theo Weiss

I'll state my opinion on the two;

On the topic of being depressed but ignoring; or rather attempting to convince yourself that you aren't, I can say that I have experienced this off and on for a number of years. I first started to notice symptoms of depression about 3 or 4 years ago seemingly out of nowhere. I attempted to convince myself that I was perfectly fine. This was probably the worst point in my life. The feeling of depression is hard to cope with without self-doubt, but when in culmination, they can be disastrous. Prolonged depression is not something I would like to experience ever again.

Being severely depressed and wanting to take your own life is a situation that I myself have been in a number of times. Although I have not been hospitalized as a result, my brother has been a number of times. He has told me that he is glad that he was hospitalized because it allowed him to get the proper treatment that he desperately needed. In my case I sought out help from a psychiatrist and now take medication to treat my depression.

So to sum up my opinion; I would rather be severely depressed for reasons of getting the issues sorted out quickly rather than prolonged exposure to depression. This is purely from my own experiences. I apologize for any inconsistencies.

9. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would like to apologize to you. I know how hard it is to feel depressed but everyone around you thinks you're doing ok. And it all just goes into a vicious cycle of feeling depressed > nobody thinks you're depressed > feeling more depressed > everyone still thinks you're ok; etc.

It's not an easy thing to deal with. I guess all of us "serious people" didn't really see the motive behind this thread, and we ended up making you feel worse. Again, I apologize :slight_smile:

You seem to have it all more or less under control, and that's awesome! Keep on keeping on and keep finding positives in daily things. I think you're very strong for having such a positive outlook on life, even though your world is crashing down on you. I hope you get well soon. (*hug*)

10. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I just wanted to say I'm depressed and it's stupid people are giving you shit for the title

11. SkylarRain

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From the perspective of someone who is depressed, I'd take death. People tell me so often that I'm not "depressed enough" or I don't "cut deep enough" that I've started to believe it so I think that's part of the reason. Plus wouldn't it be better to just be really depressed, kill yourself and be done? Rather than dragging depression out for so long that it tanks your self esteem but not enough to die? Wouldn't that fucking suck? I don't know. Like I say, everything out of my mouth is clouded and skewed so I'm not really in the best mind set to answer this question.