1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Universities - help!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by starlightonmars, Oct 25, 2015.

1. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently a second year student at university in England, planning for my year abroad in the United States next year. I have about a month to make my choices, and I was wondering if anyone had any information about any of the universities or the surrounding areas, and what it's like to be LGBT there. Are there any you would recommend I avoid as a gay man? I'm aware most universities themselves are probably fine but I'd also like to explore the surrounding areas and states, so I need to know which ones to avoid.

The list of places I can go is as follows:

• University of Arizona
    • Belmont University
    • Beloit College
    • University of British Columbia
    • University of California
    • Carleton University
    • Clark University
    • Framingham State University
    • George Mason University
    • Georgetown University
    • Goucher College
    • University of Hawaii - Manoa
    • Hobart & William Smith Colleges
    • University of Kansas
    • Loyola University - New Orleans
    • Middlebury College
    • University of Mississippi
    • University of Missouri - St. Louis
    • University of Minnesota
    • University of New Mexico
    • Northeastern University
    • Northern Arizona University
    • University of Notre Dame
    • Oakland University
    • Occidental College
    • University of Oklahoma
    • Reed College
    • Roanoke College
    • Rutgers
    • San Francisco State University
    • St Olaf College
    • SUNY Binghamton
    • SUNY Plattsburgh
    • Temple University
    • University of Richmond
    • University of Utah
    • Western University

As for what I'm looking for in a university, I've been told I'd be safer sticking to the coasts, and I'm not particularly interested in going to a heavily religious university, and I'm not bothered about sports (although I'm sure I'll check out a game of something just for the experience!). I think I'd prefer a big city where lots is happening, and if they have any LGBT history where I could learn about the people who came before me and their struggles that would be an added bonus, as the year is about finding more out about myself and my culture. I'm interested in writing and television, so anywhere that you'd recommend for either of those would be great too. I would like to visit New York City, Washington, San Francisco and Canada at some point during my year abroad so any universities that are close to any of those would be great.

Also, if you have any tips generally in regards to me being English or just gay for a year in America those would be greatly appreciated! If there's anywhere I absolutely have to visit I'd love to hear it! I plan to make as many American friends as I can, and really get good use out of this experience, as it's something I've always wanted to do. Thank you in advance for any replies!

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you may want to start with researching the schools that you're looking at. For instance, University of Notre Dame is a Catholic university and University of British Columbia is in Canada, not the US.

Check out your program at that school and do some searching to see if it seems to be a good one. These seem to be all over the map. If you're looking to tour the continental US, then Hawaii probably isn't your best bet unless you're willing to fly each trip.

3. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just for the purposes of keeping the post short I left out lots of little bits of information that I've learnt, including the things you've mentioned above! I've already been to the year abroad office and they advised against a few of these universities, including Notre Dame, but I thought I'd include them so that if someone else advised against them, I'd know they knew what they were talking about. It sounds strange, but it gives me a bit of peace of mind!

As for researching, the list is too long for me to thoroughly research each university in the month I have, hence why I was hoping to start here by cutting it down. For example I didn't want to spend hours researching and falling in love with Notre Dame only to find out it was Catholic and therefore unsuitable. I figured if I cut down the list now it would be easier to research the remaining universities after. Obviously I'm not expecting people here to do my research for me!

Thank you for the advice! :slight_smile:

4. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Is weather important to you? I would cross out the universities with climate you don't like and then move on from there if it is.

5. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Weather really isn't an issue for me :slight_smile: It's more about where I would be physically unsafe to go that I'm happy to cross off!

6. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might not want to go to University of Hawaii - Manoa if you do not have boatloads of money. Since Hawaii is in the middle of the pacific, almost everything there is imported from very far away (at least half-way across the largest ocean on earth).

My queer friend who is very smart and driven wants to go to Middlebury College.

My mom (who I am out to) put Goucher College on my college list, so apparently it is a good school, though I haven't looked into it myself.

7. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I do know San Francisco is extremely accepting, ranked 3rd in the country Queer Index: The Top 35 Most LGBT-friendly U.S. Cities

If LGBT acceptance is really important to you I know it's a good place and they probably have an lgbt center or club

8. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you both of you! This information will definitely be useful :slight_smile:

One thing I probably should have mentioned before is that I have to pick my top 5 choices and be willing to go to any of them, so Awesome you listing a few options is really helpful! Money is definitely an issue so knowing where to avoid in that regard is also really useful!

9. Ibex

I agree with the previous posters and would add Reed as well. I don't know a whole lot about it but considering it's a liberal arts school and located in Portland, I'd say it's definitely worth looking into.

10. Lindsey23

This site might be helpful in determining gay friendly areas.

A look at state laws addressing LGBT nondiscrimination

I've never been to Portland but I hear it's a great city. So I agree with Ibex that Reed is worth considering. San Francisco State could be good too. It's a good city with a lot going on but it is very expensive. Many people who go there commute from surrounding areas, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something to consider.

Good luck! This will be a great experience for you.

11. sharkpool

hi! shouldn't you take into consideration the career programs each university offers? what if you choose ________ University but their program isn't really similar to yours? i would be more interested in those universities that are known for being good at whatever you are pursuing a career in, but of course your other concers would be relevant too :grin:

12. zigazigah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There is a HUGE amount of LGBT history in San Francisco so if you can get anywhere near there I'm sure you would enjoy it! But in general the advice to stick to the coasts is pretty sound haha.

13. AKTodd

I would avoid anything in Mississippi like the plague. Same for Oklahoma and Kansas.

I went to the University of Arizona - Both it and Tucson (the city it's in) were pretty gay friendly when I lived there, at least for the time (80s and 90s). Not sure if that's still the case however - Arizona has gotten rather right wing these days.

Campuses in New York City and its immediate environs should be pretty gay friendly and the University of California is a huge system of campuses around the state. Most are probably going to be pretty friendly.

San Francisco itself is very friendly, but the cities in the Bay Area not necessarily so much. My aunt lives in the Bay area and is super conservative (fire and brimstone, the gays are all going to hell and deserve it, etc.).

If you like lots of history, the East Coast might be more your taste. The West Coast is more in proximity to natural beauty (mountains, the Grand Canyon, etc.).

Something to keep in mind: This country is very very big - I've heard of Europeans not quite realizing how big and thinking they will just take a day to go somewhere that is several days drive away. If you want to get around here, driving or flying is almost always the only option. Our train system is pretty tiny compared to Europe unless you're talking commuter rail in the East Coast cities.

As far as being gay here - same-sex public hand holding or displays of affection won't fly here in most places (unless you are prepared to defend yourself, anyway). In some specific locales, yes. Generally, not so much. Also, based on posts I've seen here, English bars seem to be rather less...segregated in terms of gays and straights drinking together and possibly hitting on each other. The sense I got was that a gay bar was seen as much less of a thing, because really you could potentially meet someone in just about any bar. In most places in America that is not at all the case - you really really don't want to hit on a guy in a bar unless it is a gay bar or you already know for an absolute fact that he's not straight. In my experience anyway. Been a while since I've had much in the way of dealings with bars and such here, so maybe things have changed, but I'd be surprised if they'd changed that much.

Hope this helps,

Todd

14. tmhjdg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would highly suggest San Francisco, in spite of the money issue. It is probably the best combination of what you are looking for in terms of acceptance, history, a big city, etc., in addition to having many famous natural and historical landmarks nearby. But does your program provide housing for you, or are you responsible for finding your own? That is the biggest issue in essentially any big city, especially in San Francisco. Other than that, food and entertainment costs shouldn't be too different unless you look at very, very small colleges and towns. If you happen to go to a university in London, having visiting London myself, I can promise you it is FAR more expensive than most US cities.

15. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ibex - I will check out Reed, thank you for suggesting it!

Lindsey - Thank you for the link, it was nice to have some reassurance that there is something I can do if the worst happens! I've heard San Fran is horribly expensive, and I'd have to find my own accommodation so your suggestion about commuting is incredibly helpful!

Sharkpool - Thank you for your input! It's definitely worth considering, but all of the universities are linked expressly with my university, so I can be pretty certain to an extent they all are good options career wise! And for me personally, I would find it worse living in fear or hiding who I am for a year when I'm supposed to be learning things about myself/the world. The year doesn't strictly count in the same way that my years at home do, and so it's more about the experience than the academics, though of course those are important!

Zigazigah - I definitely think San Francisco will be one of my five choices! I'm really keen to learn as much LGBT history as I can while I'm out there so I really can't say no to everything SF has to offer! Even if I don't go to the university I'd like to visit the city for a while!

AKTodd - Thank you so much! As much as I appreciate suggestions of good places I can't understate how valuable it is knowing which places to avoid! If anything, it just makes my job of deciding where to go easier! I definitely appreciate history, so a visit to the East Coast is definitely required! I think I probably have underestimated how big it is, I'm hoping I can hop on a greyhound and travel state to state but it will probably be more complicated than that! It's partially true about gay bars, but I've never found that I feel comfortable or safe in straight bars or clubs here, and I would certainly never hit on someone in one. We have a couple of gay bars here so I tend to stick to those, so hopefully that aspect will be more familiar! I have been warned that drinking culture is much smaller in the US, and that lots of people tend to avoid the gay clubs but I'll be 21 when I go so hopefully I'll find some people who like going!

Tmhjdg - Thank you! I definitely agree that it seems to have the best combination of things that I want! As much as I am worried about the cost, it's something I've wanted to do since I was very little, and it seems a shame to let something like money hold me back from getting the experience I want. I guess I'll have to make it work somehow! Most places provide housing, but in San Francisco I will have to find my own. I've been advised to contact the LGBT society there and ask for help, if I get the opportunity to apply there. Hopefully they can help me find someone LGBT to room with, as I'd feel more comfortable doing that. My university isn't in London, but just from visiting myself I'm familiar with the costs. Hopefully most places will be much like where I'm at university now - reasonably priced!

Any more help would be greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot depends on what you're specifically after. Some of the schools on the list are enormous (20,000+ students) and others are tiny (under 1000). And some are in very small, pretty rural areas and others are in the middle of (or next to) major cities. Additionally, each school is going to have different areas of study that they're known for; for example, if you're studying theater, you don't want to go to a school that has a mediocre theater department, for example.

Here are several I know pretty well:
    Carleton, Occidental and Reed are all excellent small liberal arts schools with very LGBT-friendly environments.

Carleton is near Minneapolis, very gay-friendly city with very nice people overall, but it gets really butt-assed cold there during winter (lots of snow and ice)

Occidental is in Los Angeles, one of the largest and most metropolitan cities in the US, home of Hollywood and the movie industry. Occidental also a very open and accepting community.

Reed is in Portland. another great place for LGBT people, and the city itself has a median age in late 20s, so lots of young people there. Portland is a lovely place, only catch is it tends to rain an awful lot there ((you're probably already familiar with that) Academically intense, very accepting of LGBT people.

SF State is a very good school, but probably not on the same par with the other three in terms of academic rigor. It is in south San Francisco, the mecca of LGBT people, though living in San Francisco is *obscenely* expensive... plan on paying $1500/month for a tiny bedroom you share with someone else in a house with 4 or 5 people. SF state is also overpopulated and it can be very hard to get the classes you want.

17. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you Chip! Your advice is great as usual! I'll definitely look more into all of these suggestions! I personally prefer winter and enjoy the cold so the weather shouldn't be too much of a problem, if anything it means I get to wear some nice coats! Something less academically intense might be a good idea as it means I have more free time to explore and I won't be so worried about keeping up with a really challenging course, though of course I'm expecting to find it different wherever I go!

18. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although I rarely go into San Francisco itself, I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area my entire life (except for going to college on the East coast). Others are mostly right about the area.

It might get a little chilly in San Francisco itself because of a breeze from the ocean/bay, but it generally won't get much of a winter. There has never been a white Christmas in San Francisco, so if you enjoy snowy weather, you're going to miss that altogether in San Francisco. In fact, snow is so foreign to San Francisco that if it lightly snows in the nearby hills (which usually doesn't happen at all), it makes the news. Many of the people I considered friends when growing up had never been in snow in their lives.

Chip is right about living expenses being insanely high in San Francisco. My parents live about a half hour away, yet there was a one bedroom house a couple blocks away from them that sold for over a half million dollars just because the land is so expensive, and most single bedroom apartments near them cost north of $2,000/month. Although there area is more expensive than most places in the Bay Area, costs in San Francisco itself are generally more expensive.

The cities in the Bay Area are generally more LGBT in comparison to the rest of America. However, most of America isn't as LGBT friendly as most of the UK probably is.

There are plenty of anti-LGBT people in the Bay Area. I grew up surrounded by them. In fact, my parents home-schooled my brothers and I and inserted us into a home-school social group with a bunch of super-conservative people. So yeah, you can find a lot of homophobia in the Bay Area, but it probably won't be worse than other places.

In regard to religious universities/colleges, I suggest you seriously look into how conservative/liberal any religious institution you're considering attending. They can vary greatly in how LGBT friendly or unfriendly they are. Both of the Universities that I've attended were Catholic universities run by Catholic religious orders yet there was a night and day difference between how LGBT friendly they were because one was super-conservative (Franciscan University of Steubenville) and the other one wasn't as conservative (Santa Clara University). Compare this to this to get an idea of how big the difference can be. Although, as a general rule, the more academically rigorous the school is, the less likely it is to be anti-LGBT.

#18 BobObob, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  19. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BobObob, thank you for all the useful information!

As nice as snow would be, it's really not an essential for my year abroad. If anything, the thing that will prevent me from going to San Francisco State will be the cost, I have no idea how I'll be able to afford it. The year is going to be a huge stretch financially wherever I go but I don't think I can afford San Fran especially. It's a shame because it's sounding more and more like the place I would like to go!

Yes I've been warned about Catholic universities, but it's good to know some are accepting and have resources for LGBT students! I'm an atheist anyway so I'd be more than happy to not go to a Catholic school at all, but again I'm more concerned safety wise than religious versus atheism wise.

20. Manitoban

I think I should point out something since you have UBC and Western in the list as well. Do you mean Carleton as in the one Chip indicated or the one in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada?

Also if you do end up in a Canadian University I would highly recommend not calling it or the surrounding area "American" if you plan on making friends. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I can only say that I know all three(if Carleton in Ottawa) will be LGBT positive as they are all public universities and they all reside in areas that are generally okay for LGBT people. Also the two in Ontario will have cheaper living costs most likely to UBC.

Also keep in mind that while the general structure of Canadian and American universities are the same I notice they typically build "school" of a particular kind. Eg University of Chicago is very IR realist. In Canada profs. Are highly encouraged to shuffle around and hence you see more variety in theories displayed. Both have their strengths and disadvantages depending on what you want out of it.

---------- Post added 31st Oct 2015 at 01:44 PM ----------

Though I've mostly heard that through other sources. I've only noticed it in the work published from a handful of US Universities. So perhaps its less common than i think.