1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me please

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by the3m, Oct 25, 2015.

1. the3m

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So... I'm not out and terrified of coming out, but I want to meet a like-minded guy and form a really close relationship.

I'm about to turn 30 and I do feel it's now or never.

I've been on dating websites for a while, but I find people there only want one thing... Is there another way?

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You could try joining an LGBT group, or going to a place that has a lot of other gay men. It's really hard to find other gay people, at least from my experience. Do you live in an area that has a good bi/gay population?

3. the3m

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks! What sort of people do you meet in these groups? I'm in Chelsea/Fulham which is quite tolerant.

4. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have never personally been a part of a gay group, but a couple of my friends have. They do meet people from there, so you can check it out.

It could also be the types of dating websites you use. What have you been using to find people?

5. the3m

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ******* and ***.

Are the lgbt groups more for support, or do people go there to find relationships?

---------- Post added 25th Oct 2015 at 10:45 PM ----------

For some reason the site names have been replaced by asterisks...

6. DinelodiiGitli

Pretty sure EC doesn't like the sharing of sites you're on for safety reasons.

Most are mainly for support but I'm sure that's not all.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  8. Atreyo

Atreyo Guest

While many are looking for sex, you can definitely find quality people on dating sites. Persistence is key, really. Self reflection is also invaluable so that you can improve yourself as you date; thereby, making yourself even more desirable. You could even possibly try Craigslist...

Okay, I can hear the gasps from here. I know the personals section of the site is filled to the brim with sexual requests and all that mess, but there are decent well mannered people lurking. At this point, making a post requesting to get to know someone for relationship purposes would stick out like a sore thumb on Craigslist. Many think Craigslist is shady, and it can be, but you don't know a person any more on Craigslist than you do on a real dating site. It's all about exercising caution, no matter what avenue you use.

In the end though, do what's right for you. If you want to join groups, do that; but I wouldn't shun online dating entirely because of the many bad apples. The expression isn't described as a diamond in the rough for nothing.

#8 Atreyo, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2015
  9. darth vader

I know what you mean.. Yeah, dating sites can be boring and it seems that we can't really find the one that we're looking for. Based on experience though, the more I want to be in a relationship or to find somebody the more it becomes elusive. Try to relax a bit and enjoy being single. Go out a lot with your friends and just be open to meeting lots of new people. Who knows.. It might lead you to potential best friends or maybe more than that.. :icon_wink