1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quit my job

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IcelandLover, Oct 28, 2015.

1. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I was working at a Mexican restaurant since May of this year... I originally applied to be a server, which I ended up doing on around 3-4 shifts. Soon after this, though, my manager found out about my sexuality... I didn´t put two and two together until just recently, but right after I knew he knew I am gay, he wouldn´t let me wait tables, he had me at the cash register most of the time. I quit two days ago because I was not being paid enough money. A co-worker told me right after I quit that my boss had been planning to fire me because of my sexuality. I´m just glad I´m out of there, he always made me feel so uncomfortable. I think it´s fucked up that people like us have to deal with bullshit like this. I can do my job just fine without my sexuality being a factor.

#1 IcelandLover, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did a little Googling and in the county where you live, it's illegal for private employers to discriminate based on sexual orientation and gender identity. If you want to pursue this, you may have a case based on your coworker's statement. I'd understand just wanting to get the hell out, but you may have options should you choose to fight.

I feel you though. I'm protected by law in the county where I live and work, and the temp agency who I'm working with right now has an LGBT nondiscrimination policy, but I still don't want to come out at work (been there a week). It's horrible that this is something we have to worry about.

3. Kaboom

Really sorry to hear you were treated such a way. Charmed is right. It could be a fight you could win. Someone like your employer has it coming. I'm sure this isn't the first time he's done something like this and it probably won't be the last sadly.

I've seen this happen the other way around. I knew of a colleague who was consistently late, out of dress code, called in. When it came down to disciplinary action, he tried to make it sound like he was being discriminated against. He even confided in me such. I tried to tell him that if he lost his job, it would have nothing to do with being gay. This went on for a couple of months. All the while, he was sitting on two DWI's and had to go before the board for review. He got his license suspended. -face palm