1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel so isolated...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by nectarine, Oct 29, 2015.

1. nectarine

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel so alone and isolated, like im the only gay person in the world. my parents are bigots so it makes me rlly paranoid to come out to even my close friends (I've only come out to a few). i know some gay people in my school but i get so nervous i can never work up the courage to talk to them. i hate this feeling, i feel like its never going to get better. has anyone else felt like this?

2. Really

Are any of the gay kids in your classes? What about inviting them to form a study group or asking to borrow notes. Find something neutral to talk to them about other than focusing on trying to be friends. If you can focus on something separate from the gay aspect, it will be easier to naturally get to know them better.

Are they in band or chess club? Think about joining one of those then so you'll have something else in common.

I think if you just make little changes, things will start to get brighter for you.

As for your parents, I'm really sorry about that. Do you think you could stand up to them a little? I'm not suggesting being confrontational. What if any time they said something bigoted, you asked them "Why?". With honest curiosity, why do they think whatever it is they're saying. I think if they have to explain their reasoning, it will become clear they haven't got a good reason. And then perhaps down the line, when you're ready to come out to them, they'll be more open to a meaningful conversation as opposed to a snap judgement.

Just a thought. Good luck.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I know this is really tough time for you and it feels like it will never be over but things will get better.
    Is there anyone you can talk to at school?

Are there any LGBT groups near by that your could go to?

4. nectarine

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    thank you both for answering. im in band with some not straight ppl so ill try to find a way to reach out. ill check to see if its not too late to join my schools gsa. im just shy so its hard you know? it'll be hard to talk to my parents (especially my dad who's rlly religious) but i think i can try without outing myself.
    thanks <3

5. lafemmedargent

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey, I'm sorry that you're feeling this way. It does sound like you're in a tricky situation, however good for you for knowing who you are already. Hmm if you're shy why not reach out to the online community? apps such as Her and sites such as tumblr helped me to feel like I wasn't alone when I was at home and not out to anyone. I know it's maybe not the same as meeting someone in real life, however just seeing posts where people have had similar experiences really helped me. Also check out youtube <3 hope things improve

6. nectarine

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    tumblr has been rlly helpful for me too. im just trying to keep holding on until college... thanks for listening

7. Sorceress of Az

Try a internet forum for like minded people.
    Or a support group for people who feel "isolated" or lonely.