1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I care so much about what other people think?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jax12, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do I care so much about what people think of me?

I'm sure we all know someone who really doesn't care what other people think (which I seriously aspire), yet there are people like me who are really affected by the opinions of others. Why is this? I know in many social situations, I don't like being embarrassed in public (I mean, who doesn't?).

Any advice on how to just be yourself and not let anyone affect who you are? Many times I feel like someone is watching my every move. This has always been an issue for me, and I'm just looking for ways to deal with "all eyes on me".

2. Erzulie

I feel the same! But I've found a positive in that. It makes me become the best version of myself for others. I try to make it more about wanting them to see the good in me, rather than being scared that they'll find out the bad. I don't really know how to deal with it either. Sorry if this wasn't helpful, but I just wanted you to know that there are others in the same boat as you.

3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with you on showing others the best in me, absolutely. Thanks for your reply!

4. Manitoban

I often felt like that over the last couple years since I came out. I'd wonder if in the general world if I was acting too gay. And in the "gay world" wondering if I was acting too straight :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Similarly I was unsure of how much my straight friends wanted to know about the cute guy I seen or whatever.

Gradually I've been not worrying about these things as much but I do think its okay to worry about this stuff a little. Its always a good idea to be cognisant of what others reactions may be.

I don't really have much advice other than to put yourself out there. Which I completely understand is difficult. (just last week I passed by a student group I wanted to join but didn't cause I didn't want to be out of place :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) but once exposed enough to something I worry about it less.

5. crazydiamond

I feel that way too. I have to say that it is exhausting always trying to be perfect so that no one ever thinks badly of me.

6. MeepMoop

i do that too, but ive been taking on the "fuck what other people think" mentality too