1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Away

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Closet88, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very rare that I post anything on here anymore, however I do visit the site often to read some of your stories. I've been having a bit of a bad time lately so thought I'd revisit EC to try and find some inspiration.

I started writing posts on here over 3 years ago and have looked back at some of my older posts today. It's great to see how far I've come since then as when I first visited I was completely in the closet, and now I'm out to most of my friends and family, having recently told my mum via text message last week! I have one major problem though, and this is the same problem I've had for years - my dad!

My dad is not a nice person, and for this reason I don't want to tell him that I'm gay. I've grown up living in fear of him and caring what he thinks, but have come to realise that I really don't care anymore. The problem however is that I'm still living at home with him and my mum, and at the minute it's hell!

So I think I've made a slightly crazy decision on the next stage of my life. I'm 27 soon and in a job I hate. Life is too short to waste. So I'm planning to move to a completely random city (I have a few in mind) and rent a place of my own. Despite hating my job, the money is not bad, however I work for a company who have stores all over the country, so it would be perfectly possible for me to transfer to one of their shops. This would mean a massive pay cut, but at least I'd be happy, and could start looking for new jobs once I get to wherever I'm going!

I think the point of this post is just for people to reassure me I'm not crazy for moving to a completely new city alone starting with a minimum wage job. Or better yet, I'd love to speak to anyone else who's done this. It's a big risk but i think it could pay off, and finally make me happy :slight_smile:.

2. Agustina

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

Now I don't want you to take this in a negative way, but are you moving away from just your dad? On your second paragraph you stated that your mostly out with friends and family with the exception of your dad. I'm not quite sure to extent that he's not 'nice' but I advise you too think through this ordeal. You said you don't care about how your dad thinks however, by planning on making this move, your sole objective is to get away from your dad. Because you are moving away it doesn't mean the problem isn't leaving either. Even if you don't want to have that heart-to-heart conversation with your dad, I don't believe moving away will fix your problems. It may seem like a temporary solution but in actuality it'll come back to haunt you in the future. My advice would be to sit yourself down and really think about what you want out in life. If you think this hasty decision is right, go on right ahead.

Good luck with any decision you make.

3. lion12

Hello!
    First, let me tell you how inspiring it is to read about someone who's come such a long way and who came out and everything. I'm really happy for you that you can see how much progress you've made.
    I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. It sucks when one of your parents isn't nice, and it's worse when you live with them. The good thing is that you seem to have coped with that and you stopped caring about what he thinks, which I think is a hard thing to do but still it's necessary.
    So... you are NOT crazy for wanting to do that! I haven't done it, so I can't speak from experience, and I know that it will require a lot of courage but I think that if it's something you're ready to do, you should do it. You'll get a fresh start, you'll be "free" from your dad, you'll get to meet new people and be on your own... And if you can get another job, it's going to make everything easier. Money is useful but it's not everything and if you think that moving will make you happy, then money shouldn't matter. And as you said, you'll be able to start for new jobs once you're there!
    You're right, it's a big risk but you seem ready to take it and I'm sure that you have everything to win!
    Wishing you the best :slight_smile: