1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consufsing Girl

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Queer Writer, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Queer Writer

I, like many people, have body image issues and it's hard for me to think that some people might find me attractive even though I'm overweight. Normally, I ignore my feelings for other people because of this, but over the summer I dated a really lovely girl and it helped me realize that not everybody prefers stick-figures. Unfortunately, we broke up because of family issues and her mental health. Obviously, I was upset at first because I didn't understand, but after awhile (we're still good friends) I realized that it was for the best. I'm now interested in other people. It took me a month or so until I was interested in any other girls, but I feel like now that my brain has finally registered that it's okay to still care for an ex in a non-romantic way, I have a tiny crush on someone.

So... this girl. We're friends, but not close friends. We're in the same dance classes (surprisingly, ballet makes me feel better about myself) and lately I've been wondering if maybe she likes me. It SEEMS like she's flirting, but she's such an oddball that I can't really tell. I'm too shy to ask her or any of her close friends if she likes girls. I've never heard her talk about boys, but it's ballet class, so OF COURSE nobody talks about boys. She gives me a lot of hugs and she's started hugging more lately. Yesterday, she was wearing make-up, which she never does. And she kept poking my hand.

Does it seem like she likes me or am I being too hopeful? How can I find out?

2. myloveralice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

It does seem like she is being playful. I don't know the appropriate way of directly finding out unless you discuss it with her. For me, I'd reciprocate the playfulness and see what type of vibe there is in the relationship. Follow your gut, not your hope.

As far as body image. For me, it is about acceptance of yourself. Similar to coming to terms with your sexuality, you also have to find acceptance of your body within yourself. It seems daunting to overcome cultural norms about body size and self-worth, but when you begin to realize that you are completely OK the way you are, you'll begin to treat yourself that way. And the more you take care of yourself, the more you will learn to love yourself. And that is attractive in itself.

3. Queer Writer

Myloveralice, you seem very wise and your grammar is (GASP!) professional letter worthy!

In all seriousness, though, this was very helpful to me. Thank you for your contribution to my somewhat average teenage life. :slight_smile:

#3 Queer Writer, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015