1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being in the closet affects every aspect of my life

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CL1990, Nov 4, 2015.

1. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all,

I have recently discovered that being gay and in the closet not only is killing my insides but its also affecting every aspect of my life:
    - family and friends : i am becoming colder as time goes by as i never really let anyone too close
    - love: obviously i have never experience the feeling of being loved/desired by someone im attracted to. I think this makes me obsesse with the crushes i have and i always end up feeling empty and very stupid for the waste of time
    -work: i take everything to personal and get too attached which basically doesnt let me move on (ie. Changing jobs etc.)

I know that the most obvious advice is to come out but im just too scared i cant even think about it without feeling sick...i sometimes fantasize of telling close friends but then i just cant words wouldnt come out..i just feel i would be a lot happier, have an easier life and be a better person if i were straight

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Maybe you could go to some place that's really open but nobody really goes and just scream ''I'm gay'' out loud. I've heard people do this for various things and it apparently helps.

3. lion12

Hi
    First let me tell you how much I can relate to you. Being in the closet also affects every aspect of my life, and I always feel dishonest no matter who I am with and it's getting at me. I honestly have no advice and I'm sorry for that.
    Just try to live it one day at a time. Don't put pressure on yourself about coming out, I think that you should do it when you are ready. It's hard realizing that you're gay and I understand thinking that your life would be simpler if you were straight. I can only wish you the best, accepting who you are and then finding the courage to come out are very hard things to do but I'm sure that you'll manage to do everything and get to a point where you feel comfortable and happy with who you are.

4. redpandaman123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The exact same thing was happening with me and I let it last nearly 6 months I felt worse and worse as time went on until I told somebody if you're not comfortable comming out to everybody just tell a parent, sibling or close friend but tell them to keep quite until you're ready. I only told my mum and so far over the last month I felt so much better and I think my mental health is much better now too and everything is back to normal except I look at men and women differently.all in all just tell someone and you might feel so much better

5. Xanesa21

Hello girl!

First of all - sure it is easier. It's always easier to be a part of society. Everything different is almost always judged and blamed.

But better person? I'm not sure. I know it is easy to say "go and come out!" but that would make you feel a lot better. You don't need to come out to whole world, first of all - come out to yourself and try to accept yourself for who you are :slight_smile:

You can always go and see a therapist, maybe he will help you somehow.

Good luck with your life and remember - you're not alone. Look how many people are here on this site, we will support you for sure :slight_smile:

6. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went through a lot of stress, which led to distress, which eventually led to depression before finally comming out. Eventually the desire to be free and be with another guy became overwhelming and one morning I essentially woke up and said to myself "f* it, I'm gay and that's that. Time to move forward in life".

That said, it's not easy. I was 23 years old and it took a lot of distress before I realized that trying to be straight was not worth my mental health.

What does help is seeing a therapist. That, I can assure you.

If there is one thing I could have done differently in my comming out, it would have been to do it years sooner! I really think that the sooner you are able to accept and come out, the easier life will get from that point onwards (unless you fear real danger in doing so).

The way I see comming out is that it's a lot like going swimming. The water looks really really cold at first, and you stare at the water for 5 minutes and dip your toes in. Some people wade in gradually like me, others jump right in, but once you're in the water isn't nearly as cold as you immagined and it feels good and refreshing.

7. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Guys thank you all!Are wierd as it might sound your kind words do confort me!

Ps. Loved the swimming analogy..at the moment im trying self help books about accepting and loving yourself because i do fell that im my biggest enemy and everyone around me would support me if i give them the chance