1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you find people with stuff in common with you?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Devil Dave, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's all well and good going online and chatting with people from all over the world on forums specifically dedicated to subjects that you're interested in, but how do you find more local people that you share interests with?

Every time I meet a new person, I tell them about things I'm interested in - activities or TV shows and music and events, and they nod and smile, but they don't actually engage with me on the subject because they've never heard of or seen the things I'm interested in. It would make a nice change to meet someone who is familiar with the subjects I'm talking about.

So, how do you find people that you can actually connect with and share the exact same interests as them?

2. lion12

Hi! I'm going to share some suggestions that I've never actually tried so it might not be helpful at all... But I did think about them, I've just been too shy to actually try.
    If you like activities like sports, you could possibly take some classes? I know that there are classes offered by the recreational department of the city where I live, and some others at the university in this town. So if you like badminton, tennis, indoor rock climbing, hockey, yoga, spinning, etc. you could register for that.
    I've also considered becoming a member at the library. I know it's not a place where it's expected to meet people but I figured that I like to read so when I would be walking there looking for books in a particular section then I could possibly run into someone with common interest or something (or maybe I watch too much tv)!
    Music... do you play music? If you want to learn to play an instrument, you could join a group class. And maybe go to concerts. Sometimes there are more intimate concerts (in pubs or small bars) for groups that aren't so popular, it might make it easier to meet people there.
    Have you tried the app meetup? I've seen that there are meeting for people with common interests on that app.
    As for your interest in tv... I'm still waiting for Netflix to double with a location system and warn me when someone else is binge watching Suits or OITNB :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    As I said before this might be absolutely not relevant but since I've asked myself the same questions a little while ago I thought I'd share my reflexions! Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Really

Have you checked out meetup in your area for groups doing stuff you like?

Sorry, I can't remember if you're old enough to use online dating but I saw something once and I'm pretty sure it was on some online dating site. I suppose you could try the same thing with your usual interest sites as you might find locals on there, too.

Someone updated their profile to say they were going to some paid event (I can't remember what) and suggested anyone else interested could join her. I think it was quite smart because you're automatically only going to get others interested in the same thing, it will be in public and there's no pressure because it's just to enjoy the event/concert/baseball game or whatever it was.

Just a thought.

4. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately my iphone is too outdated to install meetup (unless there is a way for me to update it without buying a new one and I'm just too technophobic to figure it out?)

Any recommendations for similar apps would be helpful. I know its better to go out and meet people instead of relying on technology all the time, but I'm in an area that's quite out of the way, and sometimes its just easier and better to arrange something instead of just randomly going out by myself. That's why I'm trying to make more use of apps.

5. Really

You don't have to install the meetup app. You can do it all just through the browser at their site- which I actually like better. I think it shows more stuff on the website. Depending on what interests you specify, I think it will guess what groups you might like. I haven't specified any interests so it just guesses anything in my area. Get some weird suggestions sometimes. Haha.