1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nursing? Am I Kidding Myself?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by WolfyFluff, Nov 5, 2015.

1. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

I'm sure that this is just me believing I'm interested in something that truly isn't for me, but I thought about looking into the Nursing program at school. This sudden interest was started after I've written an essay for my english class, and the paper had to be about someone who respresents an idea. I wrote a paper on a military medic, and all the stuff he talked about and the research on the job made me think "Wow! This totally sounds like an interesting job. I should help people too."

Of course though, a lot of things aren't really what they seem. I'm still on the fence about this idea, and I'm unsure about checking it out. I'm in General Studies, and I do nothing at home. I feel disappointed in myself for not having practical skills in anything really. I have hobbies, but they aren't really skills that could benefit as some sort of career.

I seen my old friends, they seem content with doing nothing every day. I can't stand doing nothing every day, some days I could but not all the time. Ever since writing that paper, I feel like I'm wasting my life not really doing any significant or exciting.

I'm just at a point in life where I can't figure it out anymore. An art degree sounds great and all, but it sounds not so good of a thing to have, mainly because it's ridiculously hard to convince a someone to buy a $1000 painting that only serves as decoration.

I'm sure though that Nursing isn't easy either. My mom keeps telling me that it's stressful and it might not suit me. She says that about a lot of things, and most of the time I believe she might be right. That scares me.

Getting a degree in General Studies seems alright, but it doesn't feel like an accomplishment to me. I wouldn't be doing anything else after that. I don't even know why I'm at school in the first place.

Nursing looks promising, but It might be stupid of me to even pursue it.

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Nurse here.

What exactly is turning you off from nursing? Is it the workload? Is it having to work with body fluids? Is it the people?

Nursing is stressful, but it's quite fun in my opinion. I would give it a shot if you know what you'll be dealing with.

3. Distant Echo

I always think the best nurses are the ones that do it because they want to help people. That's the right attitude.
    It interests you, why not give it a go?

4. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

Uncertainty. I don't know if I would like it that much if I tried it, but I've been interested in medical things since high school, alongside my hobbies these days. Although I don't know how I would react to most body fluids, I'm okay with seeing blood. People are definitely a part of the uncertainty. I don't really mind people, but it's usually the jerks that get to me. I've been trying to learn how not let bother me so much now, some progress on that have been made but I still have some setbacks.

I haven't thought of it like that.

5. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my state you have to do 2,000 hours of clinical work to apply for any allied Heath program. This can be a low level job such as an aid, or volunteer work. Call the nursing school and set up an interview. Express your uncertainty, it's very common, and tell them you want to do some volunteer work to see if it's for you. They will give a list of options to choose from and make the arrangements for you. I started out cleaning baths and fetching heating/cooling pads from the wards and later became a blood drawer to get my 2,000 hours to apply for the physician assistant program. I changed my mind half way through and became a computer programmer instead.

#5 Monraffe, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015