1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I like someone who is homophobic.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by woodlandbats, Nov 5, 2015.

1. woodlandbats

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is a hypothetical but common situation that I need to talk about to see if I can apply it. Can u compartmentalise a person who is mildly awkward about gay people (not taking offence but probably thinks less of you for it). I have a friend who I love completely and have shared interests with about everything! ... Apart from the previously mentioned. What do I do :frowning2:

2. bonnie115

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    give it time from what ive heard you shouldnt rush things. just give him some time he might just need some time to accept that your bi/gay

3. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've run into this situation many times. To be out is to develop a thick skin. Typically I ignore their homophobia unless they are being overt about it but usually they go out of their way not to insult me in my presence. What I find most strange is when they totally accept me for being gay but don't change their position when it comes to gay people in general.

4. Minori

It doesnt exactly mean they are homophobic. Maybe they simply, don't understand it and haven't had a chance to really accept it. Some people become more open minded once someone they care about goes through the things they feared