1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current/former vegetarians?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hopeful, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Hopeful

Hi everyone,

I'm a vegetarian. I've been one for most of my life... When I was little my mother was a vegetarian and I ate a vegetarian diet until I was 8. At 8, my mom started to eat meat again and I experienced meat for a few years. When I was probably 11 I decided to go back to being a vegetarian again (my friends were vegetarians and I didn't like meat all the much anyway). I've been one ever since I'm about to turn 23.

Last year I considered stopping my vegetarianism but decided against that. Now I'm thinking of it again. I'm torn... I don't have a huge desire to consume meat. I'm mostly thinking of this for convenience sake. I hate always having to be the one to pipe up and say "Oh I can't eat that unless it doesn't have meat". I'm an EMT and I'm joining a new department and whenever I eat group meals I feel like such a burden to have to be the different one.

I don't know. I don't really like eating another animal. But I also don't feel quite the same as I used to about it... I don't know.

I guess what I'm wondering is have any of you gone through this or had friends or family members who did this? And if not, what would you do in my situation?

2. Distant Echo

We all have food we don't like. No one should feel like they have to eat something. Trying it because you want to, yes. Doing it because you feel you have to? No.

3. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was a vegetarian for almost 10 years, slowly started eat meat in my early 20's because I felt like I was a burden on everyone else with my vegan demands.

Here's what I think, do what's right for you! Don't be pressured into eating meat if you don't want to. You'll regret it. Like inamirrordarkly said, do it if you want to, not because you feel like you have to.

4. Hopeful

Thanks!

I don't feel like I have to eat meat. It would be weird to. I feel like it's more of a pain for ME almost to not eat it. It would be so much easier to just eat meat...

I guess it's just something I need to think about. Even if I were to eat meat it's not like I'd eat a ton of it, but I wouldn't care if it were in something.

5. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know exactly how you feel, lately I've been wanting to go back to being a vegetarian! lol

6. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I come from a meat eating family. Telling my parents I didn't want to eat meat anymore shocked them more than my being gay. I never thought of myself as vegetarian though, I didn't care about animals one way or the other, I just preferred not to eat meat. When I did I thought it was disgusting. I tolerate it more now than I used to but it still grosses me out just looking at it.

7. Nora8116

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a vegetarian, i come from a meat eating family. My husbands loves meat, but I cannot. Sometimes I missed some of the native dishes from my country but currently when I look at meat is disgusts me. I don't know, I don't think I would stop being a vegetarian because it's an incovience to other people, like I don't care, it's my selfish nature I guess. I think if you are going to start eating meat do it for you, because you miss it but not to please other people. I have cheated once in a while, but I just feel healthier not eating meat.

8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I'm happily vegan. And I think not giving in to society's cruel dietary norms shows strength of character. One thing I am wondering, though, is, like... What if you're 100% vegan/veggie when you make your meals yourself, but you eat meat/fish/whatever if you're served it or when you're eating with a group of people who are all having the same (such as at Christmas)? Would other vegans/veggies think that's immoral? And what about like, physically, with digestion? I mean, I haven't eaten anything from an animal in almost two years. If I'd eat two pork chops my stomach would crash, wouldn't it? Or maybe it would be okay?

9. ledja

ledja Guest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrgJXcyYWQE&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvrgJXcyYWQE&has_verified=1

10. Nora8116

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a vegetarian for moral reasons but I wouldn't judge you for it, I have other friends who are also vegetarians who also wouldn't judge you either, however, there are hardcore vegans that would.I guess it just depends on who you associate with. I had a craving for meat a couple of weeks ago, I'm pregnant, and I went to a vegan/ vegetarian forum for some advice. I found a post from a girl with a similar question and she got eaten alive for it. People were calling her murderer for even thinking about eating meat while pregnant. That's to extreme and I'm not into badgering people.

As a person who has cheated, yes your stomach is a bit of a mess the next day but of course it recovers. I think it has to do with the amount of fat in the meat.

11. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to be 100% vegetarian (lacto-ovo), or as close as I could, for moral reasons, before moving out of my parent's house. My family was accommodating, but teased me a little.

For reasons I won't take the time to explain, I eventually migrated to a diet that included chicken and fish, but rarely beef or pork unless served by my host, and then I'd take only a small amount of it to be polite. That's how I am now.

I think there is some value in blending in with a social or work group, as long as you can maintain plenty of your own identity and tend to your own needs. That doesn't mean you can't be vegetarian if you want to make the effort and get stuck eating only the side dishes sometimes. I think most people these days understand about special diets and preferences.

12. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a vegan, and also gluten intolerant.

My family is staunchly omnivorous, and has a typical Western diet (that is to say, rather unhealthy).

I was first vegetarian about a year ago, and during this time felt the most emotional satisfaction from my diet. I'm Buddhist, and believe in living a lifestyle which is both mindful and respectful of all life. It feels abusive and wrong, to me, to farm animals for food when in our modern society, we have no need to. Also, there are many pragmatic and preferential appeals to veganism. Besides, the meat/dairy industries are disgusting - literally, not just ethically.

So, in essence, I cut out gluten because it makes me physically sick (and also dairy), then went vegan for personal reasons. It can be rather limiting, but I try to not see it that way. Instead, I feel it makes me more focused and thoughtful when it comes to the food I put in my body.

However, I have no qualms or judgements when it comes to other people's diets. I believe that's a very individual choice, and completely not my business.

13. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My story's the opposite to yours. I ate meat my whole life, then decided to go vegetarian. After a couple of months, I gave up because I hated having to check that everything I ate was vegetarian approved before I bought it.

This is totally up to you, but just bear in mind that you are under no obligation to be one or the other. There are good arguments for and against each one, but it's more of a personal choice.

14. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I used to eat meat until I was 10.
    I realized that I felt weird ( the idea of eating an animal) eating meat.
    My family is non vegetarian but I have not eaten meat since 10 years maybe.
    Don't eat something beacause it would be convenient to others. I used to think the same I even tried meat, but still I just could'nt.

15. BiKate

Why don't you eat meat? Have you tried getting back in touch with your reasons for not eating meat?

I started eating meat again and regretted it a lot and still feel guilty for it (Now vegan). Though this time around I've really educated myself a lot on my reasons for going vegan, I can't imagine ever eating meat again, or any animal products. The only animal products I have now is the accidental bit of milk in drinks I didn't realize had milk in them. Like the other day when I had a mouthful of my friends smoothie without thinking lol.