1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't want to grow up!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really don't and it's weird because I've been a teenager for two years now but it only just hit me. In three years, I'll be an adult and I don't want to. I miss being a kid, it was so much fun but I just didn't really realize at the time. I'm not an adult, like I said before but I feel like I have a lot more responsibility now. I wish I didn't have to worry about stuff and I could get excited about Christmas and Easter but I don't get that excited anymore. I feel sort of sad :help:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I'm an adult in 9 months - or last time I checked. The good things to look foreward to when your 18 [adult in UK] is that whilst you retain the responsibility, you get the respect for it. Also, you get paid an actual minimum wage.

Also;

Rory: Dad, I'm 31, who has a Christmas list at 31?
    The Doctor [whose 2000 years old]: I do!

[Credits to BBC Doctor Who, S. Moffat, dinosaurs on a spaceship]

#2 Secrets5, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I actually was feeling like this for a while, to the point where I got really sad about moving on with my life. I just wanted it to freeze so I could just stay where I am and have fun with my friends and not worry about anything.
    What helped me get through that actually was when I went to see some colleges lately. Because for me, I just really didn't want to leave high school because I don't know what I want to do with my life and I didn't want to leave my friends. But seeing colleges made me start thinking about the big picture, and how high school is such a short time in life, so it's important that you look toward the future and try to be optimistic. It probably won't be quite so bad because you'll meet people and do things you never thought you would and grow as a person.

So my advice would be to start thinking about things that are going on in your future. If you know what you want to be when you grow up or even just fun things you can do as an adult, think about that. If you don't know what you want to be when you grow up or that just kind of scares you, try to tackle that. You don't have to have all the answers right now. Live in the moment but also try to have a balance with working toward the future so that when different opportunities present themselves, you'll be more ready.
    Hope this helps!
    Best wishes<3

#3 bubbles123, Nov 15, 2015
  4. Jellal

My dad's 56 years old and he still doesn't want to grow up.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, being an adult isn't so bad. The responsibilities and consequences hurt, but I can honestly say I like what I can do and am far more aware of myself now than when I was a kid. To reference a quote by Morrie Schwartz, "I've had my time to be 11; now is my time to be 25." **Seriously, read the book in my link if you can. I do not exaggerate when I say it's a life-changer.

And with medical tech advancing as it is, being old might not even suck forever! Right now only extremely rich people can afford to look and feel young for decades after their prime, but eventually it will be accessible to many more.

#5 Argentwing, Nov 15, 2015
  6. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "You have to grow older, but no one said you had to grow up." Thats what I always tell myself.

There are pros and cons to being an adult but they outweigh the pros and cons of being a kid.

7. CluelessOne

There's an age old adage that one should not wish themselves older than they are but the reverse is true as well. You will get older. Do not take this as a death sentence, yes the world beyond your shell of childhood is scary and depending on where you live and go it may be even scarier than normal. Rock that scary. Hell, I'm not terribly old but I get this, now if only maths and chemistry could follow suit...

8. setnyx

i don't want to grow up either even though i'm going to be 50 on dec. 31th.