1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti Depressants Making me Feel Funny

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Plattyrex, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Plattyrex

My doctor just put me on antidepressants and I started them today, but they're making me feel really weird. I don't feel worse or better or anything, I just feel weird. It's difficult to describe, but I'm finding myself laughing over nothing and having bizzare mood swings and what not. Is this normal, or should I be concerned? Keep in mind that I just started taking them. It's also not out of the question that it could be psychological I guess, but it doesn't seem likely. I really just want to know if this is normal.

2. hapa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As with anything to do with medical issues. It's always best to consult your doctor about any problems you have.

However, I personally have not experienced what you have mentioned when I was on anti-depressants (Sertraline). I just felt extremely apathetic.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the previous poster. If you are experiencing any unreasonable side effects please consult your doctor, or whoever prescribed the medication for you. It may simply be a case of changing the dose or prescription. Do not stop taking the medication until you have consulted your doctor though.

4. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately antidepressants take time for your body to get used to them, usually 2 to 4 weeks. The side effects can come earlier. I never liked the antidepressants I was on because I literally had no emotions what so ever. One of my bosses had a massive heart attack and died. When I heard about it, I was neither happy nor sad. I was just like"oh" and moved on. You may not feel normal at first but give it a little time as the meds usually wont work the first few days, and you are still having these weird mood swings talk to your doctor.

5. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know how antidepressants work, but if you have such problems its better to consult the physician/doctor.

6. garabaldi22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Antidepressants are different for everyone. I'm on 400 MG a day of effexor and the first time I took it I felt it right away. I felt these brain jolts, very tired, I couldn't concentrate at all, and my emotions were subsiding. But now that I been using effexor for 6 months now I feel better than before but I'm still having issues regarding the lack of emotion and also sexual problems as well, which is not the best this brings frustration I said before from the others you need to go talk to your doctor to see if what you're feeling is normal or something rare you just have to make sure because we're all different.

#6 garabaldi22, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  7. Plattyrex

Yeah, my mom just called my doctor and we're going back in to see him tomorrow. I woke up at like 1:30 last night and started crying because I wanted apple juice but someone drank all of it. I've been home from school this week, but my mom took today off because she's I'm gonna hurt myself. I can imagine whatever I'm taking probably isn't gonna work for me. I feel so weird right now, it's indescribable really.