1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I make new friends in a place where I don't know anyone?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Erzulie, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Erzulie

The bar across the street from me is super quirky and has a rock-paper-scissors tournament every week. They make it like a sporting event with an announcer guy and everything, and I can hear him through my window. I really want to go and enter in the tournament, but I have no one to go with. I've been debating just going by myself and meeting some new people but I'm such a home body and I can never work up the motivation and courage to go by myself. It's on a weeknight and the 2 friends I normally go places with, one wakes up really early for work and the other just started AA a few months ago.

How do people go to bars alone and make friends? Also, how do I prevent guys from hitting on me? What are some good ways to approach people? How do I know which people I should start talking with? :help: I'm usually a pretty friendly person and can make small-talk fairly well, but the rest of these questions are what's holding me back from going. I just want to make some new friends.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The tournament sounds like a blast! I'd definitely check it out! I'm a big sports fan and would probably go to a bar during a game for a watch party and try to meet people that way. That could work for you if you're into sports at all.

Aside from that? Join a common interest group, LGBT center, business/young professionals networking group, or meet friends-of-friends.

3. Mila

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi Erzulie,

I agree with SemiCharmedLife. Sports club are a great place if you enjoy playing sports, or things like jogging groups!

4. Really

This does sound great! Here's my suggestion. Go to the bar. When you place your order, mention to the bartender or waitperson that you'd like to try out the tournament but you don't have a team. Ask if anyone is ever looking for a spare and if any team that particular night needs an extra player, you'd be happy to sub in. They should know the regulars and will also be good people to start talking to, even if it's just briefly. They'll be nice. They're paid to be. :slight_smile:

I'm not sure how to keep guys from hitting on you. If it happens, just say "thanks, I'm not in the market." Or something similar. Don't need to be rude or out yourself but polite is always a good way to go.

If you feel weird going in alone, you could always make out that you've just come from work to unwind.

Let us know how it turns out if you go!