1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Roommates

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RedMonster, Nov 18, 2015.

1. RedMonster

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My roommates are always talking crap for no reason. The things they say are pretty messed up, and I'm always going out of my way to not say anything back. Honestly they're pretty lazy and don't care about achieving in life, and they like taking advantage of their parents' kindness by using up all of their money. They're the kind of guys who constantly drink alcohol, smoke weed, and sleep around with different girls just because they're "good looking." Sometimes the things they say put me down, but luckily I'm desensitized to them talking crap about me where it doesn't bring my self-esteem down too much (it can't get any lower, lol).

It just annoys me more than anything. I honestly don't know where their maturity is at, and what annoys me even more is their inability to know when to stop. I can't stand it because they don't know when enough is enough. It's too much. Usually I don't get worked up about things because of how calm and passive I am, but it really makes me lose faith in people. Not only that, they're always making gay jokes too (almost every single day). Is that even normal lol? I have straight male friends, and they don't make gay jokes to the extent where it's an every day sort of thing. It's just lame and pathetic, and I honestly don't know what girls see in them.

Usually I own up to my own faults, but I definitely know I'm not the issue. It's painfully obvious how immature these guys are. Can I get advice on dealing with these kind of roommates?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Move. That is the only sensible solution.

Your home should be a safe, nurturing place. This place is not, and these people are unlikely to change in the short term. You deserve a safe, healthy environment where wou feel supported and respected. There are lots of other group housing situations out there and if you take a bit of time, I'm sure you can find a healthy one.

I'd start looking tomorrow.

3. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I told the floor supervisor that my roommate sometimes snapped at me and I was told that this was seen as harassment. They take things about that pretty seriously at my college, I don't know about other places.