1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant. Also, how to people deal with homophobic idiots?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BiKate, Nov 19, 2015.

1. BiKate

Trigger warning (Am I supposed to put one up?) Talking about nasty anti gay comments and also mentions pedophilia etc.)

This is kind of weird for me. I came to terms completely with the fact that I'm bisexual at the start of the year (Though I really should have clued on earlier). The past few months I've been accepting that I probably have a preference for women (I'm a cis female), but could still fall in love with the right guy.
    Since I'm still figuring out things a bit, I haven't come out to very many people, only my 3 closest friends, and this one guy I've been getting close with (as friends). And I'll be telling my parents soon. But nobody else knows.

Anyway, usually I see anti gay/lbgt+ stuff on facebook, but it's usually a comment on an lgbt facebook page and they get squashed. Never anybody I know.
    There's this guy who, until he left about a week ago, I worked with. We weren't overly close, but we got on. We aren't friends on facebook but I ended up looking on his profile (You know how it happens :grin: )
    The first few statuses were about how they can't legalize same sex marriage in Australia. He then went on to say awful things about people who like the same sex, like that we're filth, or have sick sexual fetishes. Comparing it to beastiality, incest and pedophilia (As someone who knows people who were molested as children, that's just sick. Two consenting adults getting married cannot be compared at all to destroying an unwilling childs life!). Saying that same sex marriage just opens the doors to all of that. He uses his religion to justify it all. And even worse is people were supporting him, including some drug dealer/meth head that my ex used to work with, who actually seemed really nice despite his issues.

So that's two people I know that think I'm filth. Well they don't know it yet, but that's pretty much how they would see me.
    I don't know, I've just never known anyone that says that kind of stuff. My parents are supportive, my half brother came out as gay probably 10 years ago now. Even when I thought I was straight, I always kept lgbt supportive people around me I guess.

Now I'm angry and upset. I'm angry that people think my brother and his boyfriend are filthy and wrong for being in love. I'm angry that me thinking the girl I met the other day is beautiful and lovely apparently means I have a sick sexual fetish.
    And mostly I'm hurt. Because I haven't done anything, and my sexuality hurts nobody, yet I'm meant to be wrong and destroying the world because of it. Like I can help it. I'm hurt that somebody who I had an otherwise good work relationship with would think I'm disgusting. It makes me wonder how many other 'nice' people I know would think I'm disgusting.
    I feel like a massive sook right now because all of you guys probably have to deal with this sort of crap from your families and close friends. I've just never encountered a real person who's so against love.

Any tips or advice on how to not let this kind of stuff affect me so much in the future? I feel like it's pushed me to a tipping point where I either want to crawl into the closest and never come out, or run out and scream it from the roof tops haha

Edit: How *do people deal with homophobic idiots

#1 BiKate, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  2. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey there, this is a reply by Alder, on a similar thread I had started sometime ago
    I'm really sorry this is happening and you feel this way. But there are people around me and in the media who aren't accepting; as is a lot of the local society around me. So I know how it might feel.
    If it isn't safe for you to defend yourself and your sexuality, I would say put your personal health and safety first. As much as it hurts to stay in the closet during times like these, if you risk getting hurt or putting yourself in danger by arguing with them, it probably isn't worth it.
    People will say horrible things sometimes; they may be ignorant on some things, raised on some beliefs, or simply just homophobic. As pointless as saying this is (as I'm sure you understand it, but I'll say what I think anyways)- their comments don't define you, the validity of your identity, or you and your worth as a human being. There is nothing wrong with being gay, and no matter what they say try to hold on to that. You're not doing anything wrong and there is nothing wrong with you- the only thing that is wrong here are others' attitudes towards this.
    If it isn't safe to react, I think the best between a rock and a hard place here is to not react, especially if it puts you in danger. This situation won't last forever, as uncomfortable and hurtful as it might be right now. If you have anybody to talk to, try and talk to them and have a support system around you- even if you aren't out to everyone, you say you're out to close friends in your info, so if it's possible to communicate with them, maybe try that. If that isn't possible, try and surround yourself with positivity and the good of the LGBT+ community; whether it's coming back onto EC after a long day, or watching good LGBT+ media if that's safe for you (eg movies online, TV shows, all that). Hold on there, you won't be stuck here forever. There's better things coming ahead, and if you ever need support or anything, we're all here for you

3. BiKate

Thank you! I feel like I need that :slight_smile: