1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with depression?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by I'm_Danni_x, Nov 19, 2015.

1. I'm_Danni_x

Without professional help for a few years, how do you get through school/general life feeling depressed and suicidal?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very hard to deal with severe depression and suicidal thoughts without professional support. Talking therapies bring about the best outcomes, but it does require some effort and commitment to the process because it's not an easy or quick fix. It sounds like you might of had professional help in the past, so was there a reason why it came to an end?

The following information is appropriate to UK members, like yourself:

In some areas of the UK you can self refer for talking therapy and wellness/recovery programs, so it might be worth checking with your local NHS mental health trust, CAMHS team, or GP. MIND - the mental health charity also run programs, or they might be able to point your in the right direction.

From what you posted, it sounds like you are still at school/college, so I would recommend you talk to any support or care staff that may be available.

Young Minds has a good website (link follows) Child & Adolescent Mental Health - YoungMinds and it includes a list of other organisations that you can talk to in confidence.

Finally, check out this information sheet (relevant to UK members) that includes some hints and tips that you might find useful: http://www.connectingwithpeople.org/sites/default/files/U can cope.pdf

3. I'm_Danni_x

First of all thank you for the links they have helped a bit in deciding who to call and open up to. Yeah, i have been admitted to CAMHS before and they discharged me on the basis that I was doing well and didn't require anymore help. (They tried to diagnose me with psychosis and I was terrified, so i gave the wrong answers and because of that, it seemed to them that i was clear of it). A few months later that was far from the truth. Now that i'm starting to get bad again, with intense mood swings that could have killed me, my mum claims there is nothing wrong with me and that I should sort my own problems out due to the fact she doesn't have any time and that she can't talk to anyone about my problems.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sorry your mum isn't taking it seriously.. you don't need that at all. (*hug*) Just remember that there are people and places you can turn to if you need help and support. Even if you are feeling very desperate, you can contact organisations like Papyrus or Samaritans in total confidence and you will not be judged or condemned. They're trained volunteers, but they will not attempt to diagnose you or scare you. If you find it hard to talk, you may be interested to know that Samaritans has a UK text messaging service on 07725 909090. They aim to respond asap (usually within 30 minutes).

Don't bottle anything up. If you want to PM me anytime, you are more than welcome to do so. :slight_smile:

5. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's no way I could cope without Lexapro. I got to the point of feeling numb and detached from reality and nothing helped until I took Lexapro. Lexapro works so well for me that I no longer need to speak to a psychiatrist.

#5 Anthemic, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  6. I'm_Danni_x

Thank you so much :slight_smile: I will keep that in mind.

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2015 at 06:53 PM ----------

That's quite relieving to hear lexapro worked well for you. Does Lexapro have some sort of age requirement? Did you suffer from side effects of the medication?

7. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was 15 when I started taking it. I don't think there is an age requirement. It works for most people. I know several people on it. My mom says it gives her more confidence. My cousin hasn't had a panic attack since she started taking it (2 weeks ago). My friend's grandmother said it helped her deal with the death of her spouse. My girlfriend said it motivates her and makes her feel more like herself. The side effects aren't that bad. Lexapro can make you feel relaxed to the point of being tired, but that's only for some people. It can also make you eat more, so be careful. XD

I think you should go see a psychiatrist and ask them about it. Keep us updated! :grin:

8. I'm_Danni_x

I guess I will have to get some lexapro and see if it works for me, hopefully it will. However there are a couple of problems: I'm addicted to pills and i've discovered that yesterday along with my mood swings, also i'm unable to see a psychaitrist as my mum believes there's nothing wrong with me.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I have good news. You can get Lexapro from a regular doctor. Just talk to the doctor and tell them how you feel. Tell them about Lexapro and that you want to try it. May I ask what pills you're addicted to?

10. I'm_Danni_x

That's good news, i guess that's easier. I'll also have to see if i can purchase some from the chemist. I'm addicted to painkillers, like paracetamol pills etc. I took one yesterday because of my abdominal pains, as soon as i swallowed the pill i felt sooo good. I was in pain until it kicked in, after it weared off i craved more. I was acting childish and out of control until I managed to cry myself to sleep. The urge to take more was strong. I just wanted to take more pills. Even sniff some.

#10 I'm_Danni_x, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  11. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Becoming addicted to painkillers is extremely easy when you're depressed. They do feel good. It happens, and all you can do is try your best to get better. Let's start with Lexapro. :slight_smile:

12. I'm_Danni_x

Damn! I just realized that my mum won't take me to the doctors and i have to be a certain age to buy lexapro.

13. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why won't she take you?

14. I'm_Danni_x

Since i'm 'physically well', she won't take me.

15. RainDreamer

Sleep. A lot of sleep. At least in my case. I tend to sleep about 10-12 hours a day if I am allowed to. It just stop me from thinking about bad things.

Video game is also a good thing, since games are designed to grant you a sense of accomplishment and gear you toward working forward + learning new things to achieve a greater goal. Both of this gives your brain a bunch of happy chemicals. Just remember that you are not using games to escape reality, it get worse if you do, because as soon as you get off the game you will still face reality. Think of games as practice rounds so you can go back to face the real thing.

Physical exercise is also something good. Do not over work, pick something that fit with your stamina and capability. Exercise gives you adrenaline and the kind of focus that you need to keep you from being distract by bad thoughts. For me, I do archery, since the act of shooting an arrow require intense focus, and it clears my mind.

Meditation help you calms your mind if done properly, but otherwise it can be problematic if you don't know how to focus and let your thought wander where you don't want it to be.

I have been doing all of the above, and since I am still alive, I say they do help.

16. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Then tell her you feel sick.

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I'm on medication, and I write. Help is available for you if you want it, and Patrick has mentioned resources in the UK, so I'd strongly recommend taking advantage of them.

18. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I'm on medication, and I write. Help is available for you if you want it, and Patrick has mentioned resources in the UK, so I'd strongly recommend taking advantage of them.

19. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, so first things first, most schools here have a counselling service available within the school. I am in school counselling, and I have been pretty consistently for the past 3-4 years, and its probably one of the reasons I'm not dead yet. I'd fully recommend finding out about it, maybe asking a teacher that you trust.

If you can't access school counselling, Childline is also really helpful. They've helped me once or twice, when I was on the borderline of breaking. They have counsellors that can offer advice. They intervene also, where possible.

I know what it's like to have an unsupportive mum. I got diagnosed with depression, but CAMHS refused to medicate me because of the potential side effects, and the fact that I am actually too afraid to take steps to end my own life, even though sometimes I'd like to. They offered me 3 therapy sessions that would help with dealing with my polarised thought processes, but my mum refused to take me. And I know it's really difficult, but you have to take what help you can find.

Good luck xXx

20. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, so first things first, most schools here have a counselling service available within the school. I am in school counselling, and I have been pretty consistently for the past 3-4 years, and its probably one of the reasons I'm not dead yet. I'd fully recommend finding out about it, maybe asking a teacher that you trust.

If you can't access school counselling, Childline is also really helpful. They've helped me once or twice, when I was on the borderline of breaking. They have counsellors that can offer advice. They intervene also, where possible.

I know what it's like to have an unsupportive mum. I got diagnosed with depression, but CAMHS refused to medicate me because of the potential side effects, and the fact that I am actually too afraid to take steps to end my own life, even though sometimes I'd like to. They offered me 3 therapy sessions that would help with dealing with my polarised thought processes, but my mum refused to take me. And I know it's really difficult, but you have to take what help you can find.

Good luck xXx