1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first Support Group

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Minori, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Minori

Just recently I went to my first support group for trans folk.
    More of them were trans FTM like me, some were MTF or Genderfluid.
    But what made me a bit uncomfortable is how much younger everyone was. The youngest was 11. I was the oldest there. There was another 19 year old, but everyone else seemed to be high school freshmen or younger.
    Not only that but, everyone seemed very....chatty and loud. And that just isn't who I am. There isn't many support groups in my town. I'm trying to find ways where I can get use to being around other people and talk about my gender. It was nice being called He or Him as I'm not currently out to my family and friends.
    Basically I'm just trying to befriend them and be comfortable talking about myself in general. Anyone have any advice?

2. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you connect with the other person your age? That might be a good place to start. Chatty and loud is typical of the younger crowd sometimes, unfortunately. Is there a facilitator for the group? Maybe talk to that person and see if they have a recommendation for a better fit or if they have some suggestions to help you feel more a part of the group.

I think it's great that you're going to a support group. My kid is quite socially phobic and won't go to either of the support groups that are available. My kid is 18 and has the same problem with one group being more younger people; the other one tends to be older people - mid-twenties and older. It's hard sometimes to find that fit. I wish you luck!

3. Mila

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi Minori,

Generational gaps sometimes don't seem like deal breakers, but sometimes they do. It's good that you joined a real support group, but if you can't seem to connect with anyone, perhaps there are other sessions where there are others that are a lot closer to your age? I fully agree with driedroses, try to ask a facilitator about the demographics of any other sessions that are available! Good luck, hopefully you can make some friends there, it makes quite a difference!