1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting therapy/counseling as a teenager

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bubbles123, Nov 22, 2015.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

So a lot of stuff has been going on with me lately that's really wearing on me and I think I have some emotional issues that I'd need therapy to sort out.
    I just don't know where to start. I don't want to tell my parents I need a therapist if need be because I don't want to talk to them about the things I'm dealing with and I'm not sure they'd understand/think it's a reason for therapy anyway. They may just try to reassure me.
    And does therapy always cost money? Are there other alternatives? I would talk to a school counselor but the ones in my school I don't think I'd feel comfortable talking with because they're also mainly there to help with college and SAT's and classes and stuff for my school.
    I don't know if this is something I'd do right now, just want to know in case.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Therapy does usually cost money, but some therapists work on a sliding fee scale based on income.

I would start by talking to either a school counselor or your physician. Give them an overview of what's going on and what you're looking for. At the very least they'll be able to give you some tips on how to proceed, and may be able to make a referral.