1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How common is it for both children in a family to not be straight?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by tartarus, Nov 22, 2015.

1. tartarus

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When my sister first came out as pansexual, I didn't think much of it and never thought that I would by anything other than straight, however now that I'm older, I'm beginning to question my orientation. I know that it's silly, but it feels like my parents me or something. Also, since I'm not entirely sure what my orientation is, it makes things even more confusing. Some days I sit down and tell my self that I'm imagining things and that I must be straight, even though that's clearly not the case. I was just wondering if someone could give me advice if they've been in a similar situation or if anyone knows any statistics that would be nice.

2. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. Threelilbirds7

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It not uncommon. I'm the only girl and I have 3 older brothers. 3 out of 4 of us are gay. I also have a half brother I've never met who is bisexual.
    Most people say it's not but I do believe it's genetic.

4. CameOutSwinging

My aunt is a lesbian, and my younger brother is gay. I'm at the very least not straight, and might just be gay too. It happens.

5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The men in the olden days [around Viking] most of them were homosexual, but married and had children with women to carry on their family name. Perhaps this homosexual gene survived as men since 1302 weren't allowed to be homosexual but they still went on to have children with women. Therefore this gene got passed down and now in most countries people can be homosexual, it might be that families find they do have people with the homosexual gene thanks to the Viking men who had children with women and the Pope who banned it they procreated more homosexual children - and other sexuality too.

If what I'm thinking is correct, it's ironic how the Pope banned homosexuality so the homosexual men keep procreating with women, and create more children that are homosexual.

I'll break what I'm saying down to its simplest form so you can't judge it discriminatory.

X tried to ban Z and by banning Z, X managed to create more of Z.

Without X banning Z, the Z would have died when Y died and not create more of Z.

Now, since genetics is a not a choice, there is no way to say this is true, but there is a chance.

I can't tell if what I've said about it being 'thanks' and 'ironic' is offensive, but I'll post it anyway and please know I wasn't trying to be offensive [but tell me anyway so I can try to correct myself at later point].

#5 Secrets5, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know how common it is, but I know that sometimes when I come out to people they usually ask if I have a gay relative- which I say no to because as far as I know, I don't know anyone closely related to me who's gay (or at least open about it), to which I'm usually met with "so how do you know you're gay then?" "You must be straight". :eusa_doh: I don't think it's purely genetic and if I were to hazard guess I'd say it probably has something to do with epigenetics and hormones. But as it stands, it's all just speculation at the moment.

I only have one other sibling, an older sister. And as far as I know, she's straight.

7. BiKate

I read something the other day saying that it was part of our DNA, so would be genetic? I'm not out yet, but one of my half brothers is gay, and we share the same father.

8. photoguy93

I've been really interested in this recently. I've seen some cases where it's either two sisters who have gay children or siblings who are gay. What's really interesting is that there's a separation, meaning it's not like two twins who are gay - these are either cousins or siblings.

I think that genetics do play a part in being gay...I just don't want to admit that because I don't want people trying to find a cure.

9. Gay1234

I strongly believe that it's genetic as I'm gay and my identical twin brother is bisexual. Like I believe it's no coincidence. We are te only two children.