1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronouns - Venting - Invisible sign needed?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PurlpleAurora, Nov 24, 2015.

1. PurlpleAurora

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Maybe this is just me needing to vent. I will just say it is, and call it good because I don't think there is much I can do about it unless someone has comments or any ideas.

I have been out of the closet for a while now, a little over a year. I have recently come out to almost every one of my friends. Pronouns never use to be a big deal to me. I was like meh Whatever ya know. Recently though within the last 3 months, pronouns have have been grating on me. It has been getting worse and worse. I say to my friends and my partner I don't like "he him his." If you can't use female pronouns then would you use neutral ones, "they them their?" All of my friends get it and say they will do their best. and honestly for the short time I have been out to them, they have done a pretty good job at it.

What is it about strangers needing to use pronouns when they speak!? like it drives me crazy now when they say "here you go sir," and hand me my recipe. Another ex. "What would you like to drink sir, are you ready to order?" Why! Why, must you put that extra one annoying word in your sentences? Why can't you just subtract it, leave it out, it is not needed.

You know. Im not that masculine. I don't act masculine, and I don't dress masculine. I understand I may not look entirely female, but I am working on it. If anything I should come across as androgynous.

It is just annoying to be constantly reminded about something that you are, or don't want to be. And it makes me feel a little silly to get so worked up about when it didn't use to bother me that much. Now its just every day that it grates on me when I am referred to as male.

I wish there was a way to just have an invisible sign hanging over my head that says please don't refer to me as male.

I hope I don't come across as stupid. I just wanted to get that off my chest. Maybe one of you out there will have some kind of advice, or comment that will help me. :dry: