1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have OCD

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ilovesg, Nov 28, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For as long as I can remember, I have had to repeat things in my head over and over again to feel ok but lately it is getting worse. I stop what I'm doing just to say certain words over and over until I feel like I can move on. That is annoying, but it is not a huge problem since I have always done it and I am used to it. But the thing that is getting to be really bad is when I hold my breath. If someone says a word that is negative I hold my breath until they say something that is positive. For example I was listening to a podcast where they said the word cancer and I had to hold my breath until they said appointment in the next sentence. I don't want to do these things anymore but I have never liked therapy and it has never been helpful for me. It just drains me. Is there anything I can do on my own? I feel like if I don't do these things something bad will happen.

2. JedenPolska

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I definitely think you should at least get a psych test, that way you can get prescribed medication, even if you don't want to ever go back to the therapist. It's also important that you're completely honest (not emphasizing or purposely leaving out things) when the counselor is assessing you. I think I have some sort of ocd- my coworkers definitely think I do, but at the same time I worry I'm not crazy enough for that, and I'm just making things into bigger deals so that I have problems that need fixing. But I think you should really try finding a therapist. I don't think you're in my boat.

3. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just don't know if it would be worth it. I really don't like therapy it always makes me end up feeling worse :/

4. AnotherStranger

hey, you don't have to be afraid. I think therapy might be useful for you too. Just look for a therapist you are comfortable with, chose the one you want. It will certainly feel not very good at first because it will make you think about all the things that your brain tries to conceal from you, but the objective is that in the end you get over everything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

Many people go to therapy. It's alright there is nothing wrong with it. You will feel relieved in the end.

5. Ihavetojustbeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think i do too