1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping faith

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by justine16, Nov 29, 2015.

1. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have always found religion to be something important to me. Unfortunately, I attended protestant churches that treated me horribly. I have an aversion to religion, particularity organized religion. I don't want my spiritual life to disappear though. Any recommendations on religions/ denominations that would be FULLY accommodating and accepting?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Episcopal Church is generally accepting and tolerant. Unitarian/Universalists also tend to be accepting and offer more freedom of thought and expression.

3. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Are there any recommendations on non-christian religions/belief systems?
    It is not that I have a complete aversion to Christianity, I just want to spread my wings a bit spiritually.

4. Bismuth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you're thinking Christian related stuff I know that the Episcopal church is one of the most accepting of LGBT persons. I know a transgendered person from a different site that doesn't go to church because of her identity but still maintains a strong faith in God independently.

There are some pagan related users on this site. That could also talk to you about their religion and I hear that some people use meditation as a path to better themselves.

I believe that whatever people choose (I'm a non denominational Christian myself) that God is with them nonetheless in some way, that there are never truly abandoned.

5. tgOlivia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The Unitarians are probably the best mainstream-ish branch for what it seems you want.

Pagan or Wiccan spiritualties might interest you as well. I'm not really spiritual myself but I still adore pagan places both online and in real life, and find myself spending too much time in that sort of area, just because I think pagans are on the whole a pretty good group of people to be around.

I don't really know much about them, but I know people in both Hindi and Buddhism sects who seem to find it fairly accepting. I don't know. Google is your friend.

6. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks. I still believe in God, it is just hard to after being treated so horribly by most so called "Christians" that I know. Also, I am just having troubles with Christianity. I have thought about paganism before, but when I did research I was confused as to what the heck it really was. Could any pagans offer me some explanation/advice?

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may also wish to consider Quakers/Religious Society of Friends.