1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone Interview

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ilovesg, Dec 1, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I applied to a store and they called me and they were asking me questions over the phone and I did so bad :frowning2: My voice was shaking the entire time and I was just being weird. I wasn't expecting them to ask questions, I just thought she wanted to schedule an interview so I wasn't prepared. She asked me why I wanted to work there and I said that it was my favorite store. That is so weird. And then she asked what made me apply and I said all of the different jobs there. I just feel stupid. I have an interview on Tuesday and before I go I am supposed to call this number and put in all these codes and Im just stressed about it now. She said a lot of people are applying so I probably won't get the job :frowning2:

2. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just relax. You most likely didn't do nearly as badly as you think. If you got an official interview, the phone interview couln't have been that bad. You have just as much chance as anyone else.

I've been job searching for over 6 weeks now, so I understand what you're going through. Take this time to spend with friends and family, practice your hobbies and do the little things you love in life. One day you will have a job and you'll wish you weren't so busy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It just sucks because I am already having a hard time and then this happened, so Im pretty discouraged. Ive been looking for a job for awhile too :/ Applying for jobs can get exhausting. I hope you find something soon good luck!

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I had a phone interview for a school once and it was pretty scary, but my friend told me that if you dress up as though you're having a real interview, it can boost your confidence. Another thing that can actually boost your confidence is standing/sitting with really goo posture and in a position that takes up a lot of space, like with your arms on hips, shoulders back. Just for future reference if you ever have to do that again.

5. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you! I will remember this for next time.

6. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sympathize. I applied to a cell phone company in the spring and they called me a few months later to do a phone screen on the spot. It was terrifying. Cory's right; if they're calling you in for a real interview then you must have done okay. Phone interviews aren't uncommon. They can be good for employers to screen applicants without the headache of scheduling in-person interviews.

Dressing up like you would for a real interview can be good. Although I can also advise the opposite: Dress any way that makes you feel confident. It doesn't matter if it's not interview-appropriate, they can't see you.

Another tip is to write out common questions (why did you apply, what do you know about the company, any questions you have, your strengths, your weaknesses, previous work experience, etc) and jot down some notes for answers. Don't just read off what you wrote but having some bullet points can help guide you if your mind goes blank.