1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satanism?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Contact1111, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, I am doing some research on The Church Of Satan. They don't believe in worshipping evil nor do they even think that the devil is actually real. He's just a symbol of societal defiance to them. The faith is all about personal freedom, which I am all for. The only thing that doesn't click with me is disavowing the existence of God. I do believe in a higher power, and I wouldn't want to give up these beliefs. However, all the other tenets of their philosophy really makes a hell of lot of sense (pardon the pun). I'm not saying this or considering this idea to piss anyone off, it just really rings a special chord with me. Of course....... I can't imagine telling anyone "I'm thinking of becoming a satanist". It just has a certain societal connotation of being a diabolical and evil person, which I am most certainly not. In fact, The Church Of Satan doesn't even worship evil! I'd definitely keep it to myself if I got into it though, and I can't imagine my family's reaction if I told them..... well not only am I bi, but I also am going to The Church Of Satan now. I can't imagine giving up my belief in God, that's the only thing that's stopping me from getting into the faith. The thing is the God I believe in isn't exclusively Christian though. I think that God is the universe itself in a way, so maybe that would kind of click with this philosophy. I do believe in the idea of a spirit world, which they deny so I couldn't really see myself converting. Still, it's a very fascinating philosophy...... and no there are no sacrifices or other diabolical rituals. That's just a bunch of media hype. They don't believe in killing animals unless your going to eat them. I am considering reading the Book of Satan just for the philosophical ideas regarding personal freedom though, even though I do not think I would ever convert to the faith.

Plus, I'd definitely be down with the whole style. I'd be definitely into the idea of wearing all black, painting my nails black, and wearing all the symbolic pendants and all, just because it all looks pretty cool to me :slight_smile: So, I'm definitely doing research into this whole thing just out of interest and curiosity.

#1 Contact1111, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. tgOlivia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The church of satan is really made up of two types of people. Those who think its cool, and those who believe it's philosophy.

If you think it's cool. I totally agree, there is something very exciting and slightly taboo about the ritual, the symbols, and come on, we can make fun of teenage "edge-lords" all we want but there is totally some appeal of being able to tell people you're a Satanist. Plus the shock value to Christians is kinda fun.

Now, that said. How much about the philosophy do you really know? A lot of the philosophy is very much based on selfishness, and while I like some of the humanistic/existentialistic elements of Laveyan Satanism,(which is the kind you are talking about) most of it is just Ayn Rand's philosophy with some fun ritual added on. So, if you like/agree with that sort of Randian social selfishness go ahead, but I personally think it is a wrong and ultimately harmful philosophy, hence my being less than fully supportive of the church of satan

4. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be honest, there is a real part of me that believes in the selfish philosophies. You know, it's the kind of thing that we all try and shove aside. However, I can really go along with that school of thought. On the other hand, satanism doesn't really forbid altruism. I would still be an altruistic person, but I can also get the Randian type philosophy.

#4 Contact1111, Dec 6, 2015
  5. tgOlivia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Alright. While certain aspects I can agree to be true, I generally don't agree with the philosophy. But I just wanted to make sure you understood the philosophy before really getting into it. I've known multiple people, and even my 13 year old self, who got into Satanism to varying degrees with nothing but the most basic understanding of Satanism. And now my brother in getting into Satanism, with an equally superficial understanding. So I just wanted to make you actually understood it, because a lot of people I know really don't.

6. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah for sure. i don't even think i'd tell anybody about being a 'satanist' just because of all the stuff people believe about. All the myths of the sex with goats and human sacrifice are absolute bogus, but unfortunately too many people actually think that of satanists. Satanists are actually non-violent other than self defense. Since I wouldn't want anybody thinking that crap about me, I don't even necessarily think I'd tell anybody about considering satanism. The philosophy really does click with me a lot other than the disbelief in a higher power and the spirit world. Plus, their whole quote about how satanism chooses you rather than people choosing it kind of got me into it. I just feel like I connect with the philosophy of self indulgence.

#6 Contact1111, Dec 6, 2015
  7. deep six

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well my personal philosophy is that you can mold and modify religion to make it make sense to you (not justifying homophobia or stuff like that) but like if you want to abide by the morals of laveyan satanism but still retain the idea of a deity than go ahead. Way back when i was a christian i also discovered satanism and it really clicked so i definitely know where youre coming from.

8. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, good point :slight_smile: I'll think about that. Do the LaVeyans have any rituals..... or shall I say..... do we have rituals at all? I have heard stuff about LaVeyan rituals and how they are all peaceful rituals, but what exactly are they? Plus, it just has a certain ring to it even though they/we don't actually worship the devil. Like, when someone asks you what religion you are..... and you say, "Well, actually I'm a LaVeyan satanist." People are just like, "WOAH, WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!" when really there is nothing shocking or horrible about the stuff that they/we do.

#8 Contact1111, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  9. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yep, there are rituals. There are videos of LaVey doing group/crowd rituals somewhere on youtube... and if you haven't yet, look up the Satanic Bible. It has a section with instructions for group/solo rituals, which varies depending on your purpose.

I wouldn't say it's a "peaceful" process, but it can be somewhat comforting I suppose? You've got your symbolic items, invocations, and basically run through a set of instructions before getting to the actual ritual part. But like most of these things, IMO it only has to be as formal as you need it to be.

10. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BTW, there are lots of different Satanist groups around, so you may want to have a look around. Good luck!

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jayne Mansfield was a satanist.

12. Magenta Mucus

Believe it or not, I myself had actually done some research on the Church before, and I kinda liked their view on life. I wouldn't become one, because though I am basically atheistic, I still don't wanna face my family's judgment if they somehow find out and I don't like the idea of dabbling with anything like this again (I had such a period in my life and I'm still haunted by it.) But anyway, if they just kept the devil and stuff out kf ir, I think I would go for their crusade for personal freedom.

13. Rhiannon666

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I also identify as a LaVeyan Satanist, but while I agree with the commandments etc., a lot of it is just about relativating stuff and letting you be you. It's also very tongue in cheek; the rituals aren't meant to be taken seriously because they make fun of the traditional image that is linked with satanism - although LaVey mentioned that the rituals might work for you if you truly believe in them. It's a very fun "religion", to be honest.

14. wolf of fire

I'm a Satanist and I would say you can be both, you can agree with our philosophy and still believe in a God or higher power.

15. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Then, you have a new member :slight_smile: I am officially now a satanist.

#15 Contact1111, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015