1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anonymous Death Threat?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Asexual Pirate, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Asexual Pirate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess it was bound to happen at some point in time. Anyway, so I received on anonymous death threat left on one of the fanfiction sites I write for (yeah, I know, fanfiction. It's a guilty pleasure/stress relief). The story wasn't inflammatory in any way and only dealt with a minor gay character. At the end of the story I came out to my friends on the site. A little while later I received a review from a guest telling me that I was a fag and should be killed. Fast forward a few months and it happened for a second time on an unrelated story. I have a feeling that this is mainly someone just doing it for the attention and that there is no real threat to my life (hello internet trolls). It is still unsettling.

Unfortunately the person (I'm guessing it was them) deleted their comments several hours after they were made. If this happens again, I am going to get screenshots and contact the administrators, but it's still upsetting and I'm not really sure how to feel. Any advice?

2. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm sorry you had to put up with this. I write fiction online too and I can understand how stressful and scary it must be. I think you're right to collect evidence and report it if it happens again and hopefully the site admins can put a stop to it. In the meantime I wouldn't worry about it too much. Death threats are very rarely serious and there's a good chance this person knows nothing about you and can't find you. It's awful, especially when homophobic insults are involved, but if I were you I'd just do my best to ignore it and say keep writing what you write best! I wish you well. (*hug*)

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry this happened to you. Fanfiction should always be enjoyable to write and share. It's entirely possible that the admins already noticed the comments and were the ones that removed them. You may want to read through the TOS to see if it makes any mention of protocol in situations like this.

If it happens again, definitely take screenshots and report it immediately. And you may want to consider finding another fanfic community, either one that doesn't allow anonymous comments or has a more accepting readership. Or both.

4. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Death threats are very common for fanfics involving homosexual characters.

P.S. I love reading fanfiction. I love the pairing EdxEnvy and EdxRoy from Fullmetal Alchemist. I especialy love it when Ed is crossdressing! When I come across a crossdressing ed fanfic I'm just like :thumbsup::eusa_danc:eusa_clap

5. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In addition to reporting it to the rightful people, make sure that none of your personal information is located anywhere. That way their threats can only be just that - threats, and nothing more.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry that happened to you. (*hug*)

That is really scary and even if they are just messing around (I don't think they are) just do as you said and take a screen shot, send it to the admins, and have the person banned for life.

7. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Death threats on the internet are like insults while driving. Some sod doesn't like something, so he lowers his window and yells profanities at you. Like the others said, as long as there's no way to (easily and without hacking) trace you back to your house, you're in no danger.

If anything, next time it happens you could reply with a witty comeback to shut him up, then get the admins onto him.