1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking the lead

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lastking, Dec 10, 2015.

1. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I’ve noticed when it comes to dating, every guy who I’ve dated, I’m always the one that has to take the lead or make the first move: initiate the conversation, keep the conversation going, ask him out on a date, make romantic gestures, etc.

Honestly, I actually prefer to be on the other end, in the receptive role (get asked out, so on) yet this never seems to happen. Even the last guy who I dated who was really into me told me he never asks guys out, they always approach him. This frustrates me because after all they’re men too so it’d be nice if they took the lead for once.

How can I get more guys to make the first move on me for once?

2. traveller82

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Speaking for myself (as someone who's never asked anyone out) it's all down to a lack of confidence. I think a lot of us are scared of potential rejection and just don't take the risk. Yeah it's a bit of a cop out, but confidence isn't something that can just be magicked up. I also have rarely been asked out on dates by anyone - so I guess it's quite a common problem out there.

3. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ironically, I'm always the shyer one because I have some social anxiety which could probably be the reason for wanting to be in the receptive role. However, if I don't make a move, no one will, that is from my experience.

4. mituaski

mituaski Guest

I think we'd all love to be swept off our feet :slight_smile:

P.S. I love your avatar. Fellow KH fan here as well!

5. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, but I guess it'd be nice to find a balance. However, I wonder if there are gay guys out there that are purely dominant (besides sexually).

Btw yeah, KH FTW :slight_smile:

6. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the fear of being rejected from my personal experience, is why I never or I'm hesitant on making a move. I'm quite shy, so that doesn't help either.

But I don't think there is anything wrong with making the first move all the time, relationship wise. Most people are flattered that someone took the interest in them and may want to get to know you better. Plus from somewhat of personally experience sometimes they are interested, but are just like you and don't want to make the first move, for many reasons. But if neither of you make the first move, then nothing will happen.

As for making someone else make the first move, all I can say is just be positive and don't think about it too much.
    Many factors could make someone more or less easier for someone to make the first move than others.

7. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I try not to think about it too much but I guess it just feels unfair sometimes. My dates have always told me that I'm way too quiet and shy.... yet I always have to make the move on them.

I think there are many confident and social guys who expect others to make the first move. I think because they enjoy 'being chased after' or 'playing hard to get' because it makes themselves feel special.

I guess my point is I'd like to be swept off my feet for once :/

#7 lastking, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015