1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to feel this strongly about someone?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by becomingmadelyn, Dec 15, 2015.

1. becomingmadelyn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I've only known that I'm gay for a couple months now. Five or six, at most. Before that I'd dated guys, and needless to say I felt pretty much nothing for them, but mostly did it out of societal obligation.

Now however, I'm much more aware of my sexuality and the fact that I'm attracted to women. The thing is, now that I know what real attraction feels like, the feelings I'm having are so strong that they're freaking me out a bit. I went on a date with this girl today that I met at a party last week, and all I wanted to do was keep looking at her and talking to her and being close to her. It's been several hours since the date and I can not for the life of me stop thinking about her, which is very counterproductive because I have exams coming up. I'm trying to study calculus but the thought of kissing her will not leave my mind. Is this how normal people experience attraction? I literally cannot believe that I've been missing out on this for so long. I feel like I'm fourteen years old again. Has anyone else experienced an..... awakening, for lack of a better word... like this before? It's driving me insane.

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What you are experiencing is a crush, and the word pretty much describes the feeling - a "crushing" sensation because you are so infatuated with the other person. You cannot think about anything BUT them, and yes, I've felt that kind of feeling before. It's both heavenly and torturous at the same time. Strange enough, it happened with the first guy I crushed on when I came out!

I'd say this is pretty common judging from the threads that are posted often on EC.

3. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Yes, it's very normal. Suggestion: Tell yourself you have to focus on calculus for 40 mins before you can get your reward... a 10-min. break to dream about this girl. It will keep your heart beating fast and your... um... brain... well supplied with blood. :slight_smile: